cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Huge question, I am wanting to take the gravel out of my tank and replace it with sand what is the best way to do this without having to cycle the tank all over again?

You don't really need to cycle your tank again when you just switch your substrate. It might or might not get into a mini cycle.

Most of the beneficial bacteria is in your filter media. Sure, the substrate is the next thing holds most bacteria, but it is insignificant compare to the filter media.

I did the exact same switch. I decided to change all of it at once, and my tank did not cycle after. I did keep a close eye on the parameters for a while after, and there were no issues.

Jarviek said:
I did the exact same switch. I decided to change all of it at once, and my tank did not cycle after. I did keep a close eye on the parameters for a while after, and there were no issues.

I decided to go with black gravel instead since I use a gravel vac, I did leave about an inch or so of water in the bottom of the tank because the media is out of the filter (my guppy has developed a spot on her back so I picked up meds for her)

Back
Top Bottom