Cycling The Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion, the absolute easiest way is to borrow some seeded filter media from someone.

The least stressful for the fish is to cycle using ammonia.

LyndaB said:
In my opinion, the absolute easiest way is to borrow some seeded filter media from someone.

The least stressful for the fish is to cycle using ammonia.

In other words, no fish, a fish-less cycle. And I totally agree. With fish in, you'll be constantly changing water as NitrItes & Ammonia are toxic to fish & it'll take weeks to cycle your tank. It would be exhausting, but if you've already got fish--you do what you gotta do & make it work. But if you don't have fish, do a fish-less cycle. It's quicker, easier & more humane.

The best thing about fishless is adding full stock post-cycle. My fish-in cycle has been a test of patience. Adding 4 Panda Cory's as soon as it was finished sent it into a mini-cycle. It's frustrating having to change the water every day like I was when it was cycling...

Now I have to be extra careful and patient by adding 2 fish every couple weeks. Bah. Go fishless!

whats the best way to cycle a new aquarium . with fish or not with fish can anyone help ?

LyndaB is right, the absolute best way to cycle a tank is borrow seeded media and just start the process. You can fully cycle a tank in a matter of days doing this and can add fish right away.

I've cycled a tank from scratch using fish-in cycling and it doesn't have to be inhumane or labor intensive. I think some of these comments pushing fishless cycling are exaggerations.

I've done both fish-in cycling and fishless before and It's fish-in from here on out...with or without seeded media.

Back
Top Bottom