Cycling with Bio-Spira: how long until readings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I posted on another thread a few days ago, I just set up a 29 gal tank, attempting to cycle it. Added the Bio-Spira pack and 7 zebra danios and 3 cory cats. It's been 3 full days now, the last two the water has been cloudy (the expected, and desired, bacterial "bloom" from the Bio-Spira, I hope)...but I am diligently testing the water every day (brand new test kit with the chemical you drop into test tubes) and my readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all still zero.

I have seen claims on some websites that Bio-Spira should cycle the tank in "1-4 days." Should I be worried that I am not detecting the slightest bit of nitrate over 3 days into this? The kit supposedly can test (i.e. first color change on the card) ammonia and nitrite down to 0.25 ppm and nitrate down to 5 ppm, and in all three tests the color is not even close to those marks.

If I am "ok" for now, it would be reassuring to know it. Since I have heard that sometimes Bio-Spira doesn't work, I would also like to know what warning signs to look out for.

And if anyone else has used Bio-Spira in a 29 gal with a similar load of fish and could share what it was like for them, that would be helpful!

Thanks! :D

keep testing you might be one of lucky ones who got a reall good batch :)

If you start showing ammonia going up feed lightly. If the ammonia still keeps going up then I would start thinking about the Bio-Spira being bad. The Bio-Spira is supposed to be able to take a load right off the bat. It will probaby take longer than 3 days to get reading from Nitrate as it builds up slowly.

Also make sure your test kits are working correctly.

I offer my results for comparison.

I started a fishless cycle in my 75gal on sunday uing Bio Spira and ammonia. I had nitrite readings within 24 hours. I'm sure my initial ammonia counts were much higher, which definitely helps my readings. Four days into the cycle, my nitrites are almost at the highest level my kit can test. Hopefully in a few more days it will start to drop as the cycle nears completion.

FYI, it takes a while for the nitrate to show up. Think about it, you are capable of measing 0.25 ppm of ammonia with the test kit because it is toxic to fish and important to keep low. Think how much more 5 ppm of nitrates is. That is 20 times the concentration. It take a while for nitrates to build up to a level that the nitrate test will detect.

I used Bio-Spira myself and had zero readings for a long while. I'm still not totally sure it worked, because my first batch of fish died, but I believe the fish were ill when I got them, so I can't blame Bio-Spira. Good luck!

ive been fishless cycling for 2 weeks... FINALLY my ammonia started going down so i had to dose more... im now getting some pretty good nitrIte... about 3-4 ppm... but im getting a bit impatient... if i added biospira now would it help or just mess up my progress?

Do you even have a source for biospira?

When I checked around some of the lfs for biospira, I discoverd that no one carried it. Basically the combination of relatively short shelf life combined with low demand just didn't make business sense to try to stock it.

It could be ordered by some of the lfs, but your tank would likely be cycled by the time you got it.

Now if you do have a ready source, then I don't see why it would hurt. Wouldn't you just be adding more of the same bacteria that you are already starting to grow on your filter?

However (and I'm not sure about this at all), I THINK bio-spira is for salt water tanks. The bacteria needed for fresh water tanks is different (again... I THINK).

Now I have seen a few products that claim to be just as good as bio-spira, that don't need referigeration like bio-spira does, and works in fresh water tanks. Based on a quick internet search, I found out that Tetra has a new product, SAFESTART, that is exactly that (and cost as much as bio-spira). But so far, I have not heard any positive feedback indicating any of these non-refrigerated products has worked as promised.

Do you even have a source for biospira?

When I checked around some of the lfs for biospira, I discoverd that no one carried it. Basically the combination of relatively short shelf life combined with low demand just didn't make business sense to try to stock it.

It could be ordered by some of the lfs, but your tank would likely be cycled by the time you got it.

Now if you do have a ready source, then I don't see why it would hurt. Wouldn't you just be adding more of the same bacteria that you are already starting to grow on your filter?

However (and I'm not sure about this at all), I THINK bio-spira is for salt water tanks. The bacteria needed for fresh water tanks is different (again... I THINK).

Now I have seen a few products that claim to be just as good as bio-spira, that don't need referigeration like bio-spira does, and works in fresh water tanks. Based on a quick internet search, I found out that Tetra has a new product, SAFESTART, that is exactly that (and cost as much as bio-spira). But so far, I have not heard any positive feedback indicating any of these non-refrigerated products has worked as promised.
The facts: (as far as I know)
1.BIO-SPIRA (the refrigerated version) was available for either fresh or salt water.
2.Marineland, the developer of Bio-Spira merged with Spectrum Brand products in 2005.
3. Spectrum Brands include Tetra.
4. Tetra Safestart, a non refrigerated cycle starter, is the replacement for freshwater Bio-Spira.
5. The "New" Bio-Spira is for saltwater and is now formulated to be non refrigerated.
6. As far as I know refrigerated Bio-Spira is no longer being produced and since it did have a relatively short shelf life it will get hard to find soon.
7. the effectiveness of the "new" non refrigerated versions have yet to be proven.
To the OP.
I fishless cycled a 75 gallon with Bio-Spira (refrigerated version for freshwater) it took 10 days total. I added Bio-Spira at the start and a second dose when I started getting nitrites (I had assumed that the nitrite to nitrate bacteria would have mostly died off with out food while waiting for nitrite to form)

As I posted on another thread a few days ago, I just set up a 29 gal tank, attempting to cycle it. Added the Bio-Spira pack and 7 zebra danios and 3 cory cats. It's been 3 full days now, the last two the water has been cloudy (the expected, and desired, bacterial "bloom" from the Bio-Spira, I hope)...but I am diligently testing the water every day (brand new test kit with the chemical you drop into test tubes) and my readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all still zero.

I have seen claims on some websites that Bio-Spira should cycle the tank in "1-4 days." Should I be worried that I am not detecting the slightest bit of nitrate over 3 days into this? The kit supposedly can test (i.e. first color change on the card) ammonia and nitrite down to 0.25 ppm and nitrate down to 5 ppm, and in all three tests the color is not even close to those marks.

If I am "ok" for now, it would be reassuring to know it. Since I have heard that sometimes Bio-Spira doesn't work, I would also like to know what warning signs to look out for.

And if anyone else has used Bio-Spira in a 29 gal with a similar load of fish and could share what it was like for them, that would be helpful!

Thanks! :D
With 7 zebra danios and 3 cory cats in a 29 gallon I would expect to see higher amonia readings after 3 days if the Bio-Spira was not working. Keep an eye on it though.

Back
Top Bottom