Cycling with mature tank water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've decided to revamp my old 5.5 gallon and turn it into a planted crustacean cove. I also have a 55 gallon tank with near perfect water parameters. Is it possible to cycle the smaller tank using a few gallons of water from the 55 gallon to build up bacteria?

Hi. I would use my main tank water to cycle a smaller tank myself. However, there is not a huge amount of BB in free water and although it would be better than treated tap water it might need a helping hand. Can you put some of your filter media from your main tank into your new tank filter as a 'starter culture'. This will speed up the process. I assume it will be a fish less cycling so I would add ammonia to a level of 4ppm to give the bacteria something to feed off.
Sorry, went off piste! Yes, good idea, use your tank water. :)

No, not much BB live in the water. Use a decoration or filter media from your established tank.

Filter media from old filter. Its not the water that makes a tank 'cycled'. Its the beneficial bacteria which are found largely in the filter. Although you will also have some on decorations and substrate

I've decided to revamp my old 5.5 gallon and turn it into a planted crustacean cove. I also have a 55 gallon tank with near perfect water parameters. Is it possible to cycle the smaller tank using a few gallons of water from the 55 gallon to build up bacteria?

A 5.5 gallon is easy maintenance. I would put the plants and the crustaceans in, set up a filter, heater and go. You can do a one or two gallon water change every day or every other day, your filter will eventually cycle.
Enjoy!

I'd go used filter media. Cycling is much faster with a seeded filter.

Back
Top Bottom