Cyno/ALgea Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been posting questions about algea and cyano lately. My question after reading the information in the article section is this...is there a way to get rid of cyno without treating it chemically? I have heard the only way to get rid of it is with the use of products like Chemi Clean...
Also I dont know that I DO indeed have cyno. Its red diatoms but never turns into slime.

In order to ward off algea and cyno, I replaced all of my RO filters, change all lights, cleaned my skimmer, decreased light from 8 hours to 7 hours per day, feed less and every other day, increased flow, rinsed all spounges (2) in my sump, running a phosban reactor. Did I miss anything?

My PO4 reading a couple of weeks ago was 2. Now its less than 1. It seems the algea is slowing down...dont know.

ANy help is appreciated.
Also readings are trates, trites, ammonia, all 0. CA 400 and AK 2.5-3.

I am not sure where you got the information that the only way to get rid of it is with chemicals. There are many things to do that will help. IMO it is best to do them all at once. Water changes with ro,totaly blackout the tank, not just diminished times,increased water flow, cut back on feedings to once every other day at most, clean out everything you have already cleaned, most important...siphon off the mess as best as you can, daily.

hth

Well the only thing I cant do is blackout. I have corals so this is the reason that I am cutting back on the time rather than the blackout.
Also on the cyno I will do this daily then. On the algea its hard to do this as it takes a toothbrush each time...but I will do this as well if thats what its takes. I beat the algea once before but this is my first time with cyno.
Also did I mention I have my main return from my sump as flow (mag 12) and then also 6 - yes 6 PH's in my tank...3 on each end. All maxijet 600's and above...think this is enough?

I have corals, alot of them. I went without lights for seven days due to H. Rita and they were not harmed one bit. The choice is yours to make, I am just telling you my experiences as a point of reference. Lessening the photoperiod by an hour or two is not going to help any at all.

If it is hair algae, I have found fingers work alot better than a toothbrush.

That is probably enough current.

Please dont take it as me arguing with you...I just would "think" the corals would suffer. If they didnt with you, then I cant argue that! Each day that goes by Im seeing less and less algea. Im pretty sure I found the source of my problem so Im going to stay the course and if it doesnt work, then I may have to do what you did.
Maybe I dont have hair algea...its slick to the touch and unless I let it get really thick and long, theres no way I can pull it off the rock. As a matter of fact, I wear a toothbrush out frequently...thats how hard I have to scrub. Its real thick...When you scrub it, it disingrates. Very odd...

I understand the reluctance to go with no lights...not a problem here. Everyone of us makes these types of decisions every day. You have to be able to live with your decision and if you arent comfortable doing it, then by all means, don't do it. It may mean that it takes a little longer to get a handle on your problem..but it is still you that has to work with it, not me.

Well Im really hoping and thinking that its looking better. I took a few rocks out today and scrubbed them and only have about 5 peices of LR that has it on there now. I didnt take them out as they are like my base peices and it would take to much work to get them out. I have 175 lbs of LR in my tank...dont care to take it out just for some algea!!! :mrgreen:

A total blackout IMO is not needed. I have had several bouts with cyno and I never did a blackout or cut back on the lighting.
What I did do is add a phosban reactor to get rid of my PO4 issue, Got new DI for my RO/DI unit, changed out my old bulbs and when I did a WC I siphoned out as much of the read slime as I could. It took a few weeks but I won the battle. I get it every now and again when my bulbs get old. I do feed probably feed a little too much but I am willing to deal with the small cyno outbreaks too keep my fish fat and happy.

Sea
I may have mislead you in this...We have really two issues going here which I think Hara was eluding to one of them. We have been talking about cyno AND algea. When I think of black out, Im thinking for the algea..
Sorry about that. But I do think I will win as well as I have done as you did...changed all my bulbs, filters, cleaned the skimmer, and increased flow. I knew I shouldnt have mixed the 2 topics!! :roll:
But one is really kin to the other!!

One thing you may want to try is to get some tubing and "siphon" the cyano completely out. When it comes back, do it again. When it comes back, do it again. Truly, you must find the source of your cyano problems, but this cleared up mine on top of all the rest you have done.

I use a turkey baster to blow of cyano. I have a big cyano problem, so I'm not one to advise here, but if you have to scrub, it's clearly not the same cyano that I have. of course there are different kinds. maybe you have something else? just a thought.

Jainden
I mentioned earlier I asked 2 questions on here and I shouldnt have..one is regarding algea and the other cyno. Sorry for the confusion.
Also I have heard that stirring the cyno up doesnt do any good?? I had heard your supposed to suck it out..maybe someone can correct me.
On the algea, its tough to get off the rocks. I have to take the rocks out and scrub them.

Boardsurfer
I forgot to mention Im sucking the stuff out as well. Its only in 2-3 areas of my tank...in the front where the MOST flow is!! Go figure! :wink:

Just my two cents...
Last year, I had my first cyano outbreak during winter. Battled it for months using all the prescribed methods except for phosban. Won the battle. Now it's winter again and I'm getting another breakout.
Someone told me this is because water quality is generally poorer in winter with less activity in sources (lakes, etc.).
This time, I think I'll try the phosban.

Good luck!

I am running a phosban reactor right now. Have been for 2-3 weeks. How long did it take for you to really notice a difference??
Also I think I didnt help my problem by not changing my RO/DI filters soon enough as well as not replacing my lights soon enough.

I cut back my lights from 10 hours to 7. I don't recall setting them for 10... I may have bumped the timer. We'll see if that helps

I had an outbreak of this black hairlike algae type of stuff, which was later identified by one of the advisors as cyano, Did every thing advised, weekly water changes cutback on feeding and lights, phosguard, hermit crabs, ammonia reducer,,,, in the end, I went home for christmas (from college) had a buddy feed them every other day. when I came back, the water level was about 4 inches low and the skilter was dry, but the cyano was gone. I had been gone for about 2 weeks and the tank looked better than it ever had.

After words I had some thoughts on what made it go away.

1, I was doing all of the right things and eventually I won.
2, The source water had just enough po4 and nh3 in it to feed this stuff, with the buddy not topping off the water, it starved out.
3, By not removing it weekly, perhaps it overpopulated and starved itself out.

I am not sure why it went away, but IN THIS CASE what seemed to work was for me to quit messing with it.

Not really an answer to your question, but this is my story

Wade

Fishman, I'm dealing with this in my FOWLR tank, and was wondering how exactly you took out the rock and scrubbed it? I don't have anything live on mine (apparently I bought live "dead rock" from my LFS, which is common from that place I just recently learned ... How did you clean it?

Iusually syphon water from my main into a small 'tub'. I drain out enough water that it will cover the rock. I then take the rocks out of the tank and scrub them. The water gets pretty gross quickly so I dump the water and do it all over again. You have to scrub real hard to get some of the algea like I have off of the rock. Thats about all I do.

Back
Top Bottom