Dad's 6000 gallon pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishb0ne

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, an estimate 6k gallon anyway, we suspect it's closer to 7k actually. I set-up a Picasa Slideshow for this, as I figured it'd be easier to share all photos that way.

The first set of 5 pics show off the pond my dad set up while we were living in Minnesota, before moving to Nebraska some years ago and setting up the new one. During that time the koi had to be housed indoors during winter as the water would freeze all the way to the bottom. That pond was up and running for about 3 years. The new pond is older than 5 years by now. The bigger koi are over 7 years old now, they are the first generation my dad had. They're nice, big and healthy [they look a lot smaller in the pics]. Also, since these pictures have been taken I think our population has almost doubled. We definitely have to start selling or giving them away :) As you can probably notice the pond starts off shallow, about a foot deep and goes all the way slightly up above one's waist in depth. The koi are in the pond year round, during winter they sit at the bottom in the deep point where temp at the absolute lowest is around 4*C/38*F and the water never freezes. Dad uses a heater/de-icer to keep a hole going to allow proper gas exchanges. Most of the plants come indoors during winter except for the water lilly.

My dad's pond, his pride and joy.

Both ponds are gorgeous. The new pond must be easier to maintain over the winter months than the old pond. I'm sure the fish are happy there. Koi can live 30-50 years, but I can't say that would be a normal life expectancy for most koi that are kept by aquarists.

The new pond is a lot easier to maintain. Dad usually takes care of everything but whenever I happen to be around I do as well. Not having to move the koi indoors in the winter is a big plus, the entire pond was designed with this in mind. He is considering the possibility of extending it and creating a second one about the same size with a small stream between them, deep enough to allow the koi to easily go from one part to the other.

It certainly seems as though you have the space for it.n That sounds like a really cool idea. Did he use any lining for the bottom or just the dirt?

He used lining and that was one of the things I helped him with. Too bad we don't have any pics but trust me, it was a LARGE piece and it was a pain to lay it just right.
The pond is about 28 feet long, 17 wide and 3.5 deep at the deepest point, right where the waterfall is.

I want to build a pond this summer in the back yard. I would love to have 2 levels, the bottom level for the fish and the upper level housing a waterfall. LOL, I may end up bugging you for advice.

I'd be more than happy to help.
I can tell you right off the bat that most of that hole was done with a bobcat, not all of it by hand :) Neighbor had a crew over to pave his driveway, dad spotted the bobcat, gave the guy some money and had him go as deep as he could into the ground :)

That is the prettiest thing ever! I'd love to have one of those, but the Apartment owners would be mad if I started digging holes in the ground of that size. =]

Wow-what an oasis. Beautiful, and how nice of your dad to dig that whole pond just to entertain the kitty.

My favorite pic is of him starting the pond-brilliant.

How beautiful....I would like to build a small pond this coming spring, but nothing of that magnitude! It was just beautiful though!

I've always wondered how people made ponds, never guessed that people dig it themselves ^^

No space to do it here in the city :(
-Stuck with 10 gallon tank-

Back
Top Bottom