Damaged convict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilive466

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 45 gallon tank with some rocks in it. not to much and my convict lately has been having scuff marks and some puncture wounds on it and now it eye is all jacked and kinda stays in the corner. It is 4-5 years old now and the other fish in the tank are a pleco, jackdempsey, and an african of some sort.. any suggestions. We removed the rock to try and let him heal up

thanks

seth

I don't think its the rock at all. Africans and SA CA Cichlids DO NOT MIX. I suggest getting rid of the african. Unless your con is just clumsy.

J

I know african and americans don't mix but these get along. they have been in the same tank for 5 years now and the african and the convict breed. I actually have 3 little babies in the tank right now. My girlfriend started the tank before I came along and had no idea about the two not living together and no one at the pet store told her any different. I do think it may be a clumbsy fish or mabe he is losing his vision with age??

thanks

seth

ilive466 said:
I know african and americans don't mix but these get along. they have been in the same tank for 5 years now and the african and the convict breed. I actually have 3 little babies in the tank right now. My girlfriend started the tank before I came along and had no idea about the two not living together and no one at the pet store told her any different. I do think it may be a clumbsy fish or mabe he is losing his vision with age??

thanks

seth
can you post a picture of the "african" i find it very unlikely that a Convict and an african cichlid can re-produce, convicts are promiscuous, but the genetic and behavioral difference between cichlids from the two continents would make mating and reproduction impossible.

what makes it impossible for them to breed. I don't have any pictures at this time but I will try to get some up.

ilive466 said:
what makes it impossible for them to breed. I don't have any pictures at this time but I will try to get some up.
genetically speaking they are not closely related enough... even if they mated, the sperm could never fertilize the egg to create a living, viable fish. add to that that they do not speak the same "language of love".

New World and Old World cichlids (though both cichlids) have been evolving apart since the break-up of Gondwanna ~ 65 million years ago. in that time they have become so genetically and behaviorally distinct from one another that, unless you got EXTREMELY LUCKY, reproduction is impossible. if on the odd chance you did get an african and a New world cichlid to reproduce you need to document it, as i think you have something new to SCIENCE. 8O

They only produce 3 to 5 fry at a time. They have done so for about 2-3 years now. most of the time the jack dempsey eats them cause we don't seperate them but about a year ago there were about 5 adults from the african and from the american but we had to take them out cause the tank was to full.

Here are the pictures of the mother. If you have any idea on what type of cichlid she is let me know. sorry the quality sucks... I used my phone and she wouldn't hold still...wierd!!!

seth

Attachments

• fish_amy_933.jpg
    fish_amy_933.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 403
  • fish_amy_2_144.jpg
    fish_amy_2_144.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 398
So wouldn't that make a new type of fish? Like a new speasies of fish?

The funny thing is that they only produce a couple fry each time. I dont think People will want anything to do with an american african mix...

Back
Top Bottom