Damsels in distress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wisteriamyst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We've had our aquarium set up since mid May. During the cycling process we lost two yellow-tailed damsels, two clown fish and one scooter blenny (I know, since then I have learned I should not have used fish for cycling); one scooter blenny survived and is doing great. The tank finally finished cycling, everything was down to 0, pH 8.2 and salinity 1.020. We got two domino-damsels on September 2 and they seemed to be doing great; on Monday morning (September 6) one was dead, no signs or symptoms the night before. The other died today (September 8), but hadn't been right since the first one died. All the readings are still at zero, pH 8.2, salinity 1.020, the scooter blenny is fine; what went wrong? I am now VERY reluctant to get any new fish. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Tank is 55 gallon, sand (not live) on the bottom, two coral skeletons, one artificial decoration. I have been feeding frozen brine shrimp. I would really appreciate some help on this. Thanks in advance.[/i]

I am glad that you now know it is better to cycle a tank without fish. I tell everyone that the two most important things that you can do to insure success in this hobby is to quarantine all new fish 3+ weeks BEFORE you put them into the display aquarium and read everything that you can get your hands on concerning our wonderful hobby. Make sure any fish you are considering buying has been at the LFS doing well for a while before you buy it. Also make sure it is eating at least two types of food first.

Here is the part one of two in a series about practicing quarantine. You can find part two and many other helpful articles in the same library.
http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/quarantine_methodology_1.html

Cheers,
Terry B

Also just an fyi...1.020 is a little on the low side...should be around 1.024 to 1.026 normally. i would not add any more fish for a while and make sure your system is stable. Do water changes as well...Also whats the temp in your tank?

Thanks for the advice. Now I know you're going to think I'm really stupid, but how do you adjust the pH? :lol:

The temp in the tank fluctuates between 76-78 degrees.

PH is sperate from SG or salinity...salinity is what you are speaking of when you say 1.020...All you need to do is when you add top off water, I usually will mix say 5 gallons of SW and use this as top off water. BUT you need to monitor your level of salinity and not raise it to fast. I had the same problem and went from 1.021 to 1.025 in about a week. Take it slow.
Also your PH is right on...between 8.0 and 8.4 is a good range. Most of the time a buffer is added to your water when your PH is low...yours is fine.
Also might try and get your temp around 78-80...just my opinion...

Back
Top Bottom