Damsels mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Konrade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the lfs a couple weeks ago knowing i was going to buy a blue velvet damsel (paraglyphidodon oxyodon). I go in there and find the best looking one they had and bring it home to my arrow crab and other yellowtail damsel. The next thing that happened amazed me. Right when i put it in it and the other damsel started dancing around each other and "standing" straight up and down. As they were doing this the yellowtail damsel darkened from a bright blue to an almost black. They did this for about ten minutes and havn't done it since. Now the blue velvet stays behind the live rock at the back at the tank while the yellowtail swims around the front like he's guarding something and chases away the arrow crab who's 3x the size of him. I haven't spotted any eggs yet but I'm pretty sure therer might be some. Any ideas whats going on?[/i]

I would say its a territory issue.. the original fish is dominate right? I would not think it is mating at all, but who knows..

THey are both very docile especially the yellowtail. He has never been like this and i have had him for almost six months. They don't seem to fight at all but now they start to hang out around eachother occasionally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom