Danios nipped tail to stub on swordtail male!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

humdedum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 danios, one male swordtail, a female platy, 1 cory cat, 1 female betta in a 20 long tank with a bio-wheel filter, a few live plants, gravel, and no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate is like 5 or so. Dunno. Anyway, this morning i came down to see the sword (a bit new, got him 13 days ago. hm. 13. anyway...) and he was in the corner with his fins clampe, or so I thought, when i realized he didn't have his bright red black-striped sword but a stub left! :mad:
At first I was like "darn. I got fin rot" and then i saw a couple danios trot over and nip at the stub. Then they left like :rolleyes: "I didn't do nothing". Ergg. They kept it up. I debated whether or not with myslef to put him in a breeder trap or not. It would separate him, but then again, he always fancied the algae and plants. So I left him. I came down this evening to see his in the corner, his dorsal fin in bad shape, his sword still a stub, his gonopodium all funny and ripped, and he was lying on his belly on the gravel. I coaxed him into a cup and put him in a breeder trap. I did a quick WC, but should i knock up the temperature...anything? It's like 77 Farehnheit now.

The temp is probably fine. You will want to do daily water changes (twice a day is better)and he should recover.

Of course then the issue is, do you return the sword or the danios to the LFS since they are not getting along....of course you could set up another tank....that's how MTS got me the first time. :)

I still live, Mr. T doesn't
So last evenign i came down to see him laying on his belly in the corner by the swordplants with his tail still a stub and if he was a mammal he would be panting for breath so with him not able to swim i figured i had better move him to a breeder trap just in case and diod a quick WC this morning i came down and he was dead on his side i still have the 30 day warrantee on him from PETCO but he was brilliant and lovely and marvelous an d hyper and perky and adjusted faster than any other fish I've seen and the only fish in that tank that was by all means really red. Those danios have been causing 110% of all the trouble and havoc I've been causing, so maybe I should ask my neighbor down the street who breeds discus, checkerboards cichlids, and angels is he want 4 feeder fish, healthy danios. ^.^ I am soo mad at them right now, but still, they're fish, so i'm like aw heck i'll still feed them lol.

Sorry for your loss. :(

See if you can take the danios back to the LFS for credit. You might be able to trade them for some more suitable community members. :)

I got a warrantee on Tick Tock. Thanks everyone.

Maybe I'll ask the neighbor is he wants 4 healthy feeder fish. (he breeds discus)

Danios might be better off in their own tank; if you split them up into small groups (4's a small group to me), they get territorial; if you have a bunch of them, the other fish are lucky to get any food.

I wonder if discus are fast enough to catch them?

Back
Top Bottom