darn barbs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
They have stopped picking on the Rams and Tetras but have now started to bombard the angels. Last night I noticed that my smallest angel has part of its top fin missing. :x I think they need a time out. Either that or maybe a trip back to the lfs.

I was hoping that wasn't going to happen for you. It is your choice either the barbs or the angels. Sorry.

Fishyfanatic,

In my short time with the barbs I have definately seen changes in temperment for no obvious reasons. Currently my one gold/rosey? barb has tried to mate with another small barb and has become extremely hostile to the rest of the tank inhabitants. This has caused the tiger barbs (the usual aggressors) to school and become timid.

I'd watch carefully and you might get lucky. In my case, it was a single barb that was the problem, and after a 12 day "detainment" in a breeder net inside the main tank, he/she has stopped attacking my cory's (they were going after the fins of the cory's).

Hope it works out for you. That or I've heard putting a larger aggressive fish in the tank might calm then down (but then that new fish might cause problems :) )

justin

There are 8 Male Rosy Barbs with the 2 Angels in addition to the other tankmates. They were both BEAUTIFUL when I brought them home. One is a Blushing and the other...well....we are still trying to figure that out. But it has very long fins and a lyre tail fin.

Poor guy. I am going to try and QT it tonight. It's just getting to it that is the problem.

As for catching (and I'm sure you are much more experienced then myself) I have a HUGE (fory my tank) 4-5inch net that is impossible to move around the tank well, and a smaller 2.5 or 3" net. I use these in tandem to coral the fish I need and it is much less stressful for both the fish and I than when I tried with a single net (much cursing and stressing of fish). Hope everything goes without a hiccup!

I have a 12 and 10 inch net for the African tank and many other smaller nets for the others. The Angels are easy to coax into nets. Well, ok, compared to Africans, they are VERY easy to net. The issue is with the 50 lbs of lava rock. LOL I just got home from work and she is doing good, hasn't lost any more of her fin or tail.

My tigers turn sort of a green color when they get mad. I don't have much other than barbs and the pictus can hold his own.

They can be real pansies at times.

The Blushing is not taking putting up with the aggression from the Barbs. S/He just picks back. I think they have learned not to mess with him/her. It's my poor Gold Pearlscale that is what I am worried about. :(

barbs and angels don't get along no matter waht, something about angels makes barbs go nuts and attack, the best thing to do is remove one or the other

Back
Top Bottom