Day 10 seeded 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillie308

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I'm on day 10 of fishless cycling with ammonia . I started with a seeded filter and some gravel in panty hose from my other tank and an ammonia reading of 4 . the filter itself hasn't been changed in months. After 4 days I started getting nitrite readings. Day 6 was unreadable and I first tested nitrates (50ppm) day 7 I changed 50% of the water. Still unreadable for nitrites and 20 nitrates. Every day since getting nitrite readings I doses back up to 1-2ppm for ammonia and that has always been gone in 12 hours.
Day 9 - yesterday 0 ammonia 5+ nitrites 40 nitrates 50% water change
Day 10 today - ammonia 0 ...5+ nitrites... 40 nitrates 50% water change and I added some moss balls and a ceramic decoration from my old tank

Do I need to change even more water out to get nitrites to a readable level?
Every day for a week my ammonia is always converted and I have nitrates but always a unreadable nitrite level I'm getting anxious lol

If it makes a difference I have the heater set to 88... A fluval hob filter rated for a 60-100 gallon tank... 2 air stones one which is huge and my ph has been a constant 8.2

Stop adding ammonia if you still are.
Once you see nitrites only dose 1/2 of the amount of ammonia every fourth day.
If both ammonia and nitrite are 0 then you chnge water and are done.
If you still have either then dose 1/2 of the 4 ppm amount and test again in 4 days.

1ppm ammonia converts into 2.7 ppm nitrite(I believe) so if you keep dosing 4ppm ammonia it will take some time to convert I all,or it will just stall the cycle possibly.

I'm shocked to see nitrites like this but how should I go from here? Ammonia of course was 0
Looks like nitrites are between .5 and 1
Nitrates 40

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 43
Add NOTHING and wait another day or 4 if necessary.
When nitrites get to zero then add 2 ppm ammonia and start the 24 hour clock.
It looks like your tank/filter is cycled ,but over loaded with ammonia that is too much for the nitrite bacteria to consume in 24 hours....
Let them catch up.
Test again tomorrow.
I will say with some confidence that when your tank/filter is cycled you will easily be able to stock 100%.
You are growing way more BB then your tank will probably need?:rolleyes:

What is your final stocking plan?
60g huh??:brows:

Is it bad to say I'm not sure yet? Lol I have a 2 and 3 year old we spend most of our time in the room where this tank is... There's a really good sale on Glo Tetras online. I don't have a LFS within 150 miles so I planned possibly adding 24 Glo Tetras 10 guppies (shorter finned) and 12 Glo danios .... My red rili shrimp also just had shrimplets and 3 more are carrying eggs so maybe throw some of them in too.

I didn't think I'd get a reply so quick so I added 60 drops of ammonia to the tank Dr Tims but usually takes 120 drops to raise to 1ppm

Open to stocking suggestions though my ph is always 8.2 and guppies are the only livebarers I like and the kids of course love colorful fish

That sounds like very colorful stocking for you and your children.
They should love it!
You definitely have done the right thing to cycle "strong" so you can stock quickly depending on how you order fish.
If you still need time to get fish after tank is cycled you can feed the system weekly or so with ammonia to keep it running full strength.

The shrimp sound like a cool addition if you are having success with them anyways.
Livebearers love hard water so good choice IMO.

It's been 2 hours since I added 60 drops of ammonia I tested to see how high the level went and it's testing 0 like I never added any.... So just to clarify I don't add any more until nitrites test 0 then I dose ammonia up to 2ppm wait 24 hours and run a full test on everything right

It's been 2 hours since I added 60 drops of ammonia I tested to see how high the level went and it's testing 0 like I never added any.... So just to clarify I don't add any more until nitrites test 0 then I dose ammonia up to 2ppm wait 24 hours and run a full test on everything right
You got it!:dance:
I think you are close.(y)

:popcorn:

Ahh! 10 hours later after testing either 2 or 5 for nitrites after I added my ammonia .... My nitrites are 0!!!! Sorry had to share dosing it up before bed :)

Back
Top Bottom