dbl dosed tank with calcium and kh.. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, as the title says my tank was double dosed with calcium and alkalinity. Before I went out to go to school I manually dosed my tank with 60ml of KH and Calcium from b-ionic as my daily supp. After 3 hours I came back home and my dad said he dosed 60ml of KH and Calc as well.:eek: Im so mad!! :banghead: I'm crying as im typing up this thread.

what should I do??!! please help... I think of calc and kh as morphine that if double dosed could lead to death!!

What are the levels at? And what is your daily consumption of alk and calc? I personally don't dose in any of my systems so have no personal experience but I don't think a 1 time double dose will kill everything in your tank. If you have sps I imagine they might be pissed for a day or two but they should be fine
Edit : a wc probably wouldn't hurt

Thanks for the reply. If i don't dose my calc drops down to 360ppm and I keep it ~420. Yes, I am mixing the salt right now and will do 20% water change. Are my corals going to be ok? Will My birdsnest thats recovering from bleaching (when we lost power for 3 days) make it?

Everything will be ok, check your levels later if there high don't dose tomorrow. Jump in alk you might not get Lps to open fully but it will come back down. Don't worry it's fine

So your calc is probably at 480ish what about alk? Most people keep it around 8 so I imagine even with the double dose it's still probably below 12 dkh which is ok ( I use rscp salt and it mixes at 460 calc and 12.1dkh and my sps love it) so it's more the swing that would bother things. I think you should be fine, IME birds nest are pretty hardy sps

My KH is usually around ~10 so right now its probably 15? idk.. this is too stressful.. sigh... thank god I just had my lunch lol!!

Still saving up for a good doser but from what happened I'm at this point where I just want to pull out my c-card....

My KH is usually around ~10 so right now its probably 15? idk.. this is too stressful.. sigh... thank god I just had my lunch lol!!

Still saving up for a good doser but from what happened I'm at this point where I just want to pull out my c-card....

If it really did rise that high you may start seeing alk burns on any sps. Birdsnest are hardy but don't tolerate alk swings well. Be careful about dropping it back down to quickly. Are you not testing for it anymore?

Tested my water before I usually dose this morning so Calc is 400 and KH is about 9.3. Ph is 8.1. I figured to just put 30ml of calc and kh so both wont drop as much. Corals seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom