De gasing for water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coxy1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Apart from the normal ageing water for a 24 hour period are there any other ways to de gas water for water changes?....I ask this as I wanted to do my large water changes direct from the the warm tap(obviously tank temp) the issue is the amount of tiny gas bubbles this produces which can can cause many problems ie slime coat removal and the bubbles entering the gill. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What I'm trying to come up with is an alternative to the bucket method something easier iv just done a water change and seem to have sorted it....the way I am doing it is connecting my small hose to my internal mixer tap running it through my hma filter through to the tank but the trick seems to be disturbing the water before it hits the tank meaning no bubbles created. This way I don't need any buckets which as well no that method is hard work. I'm Happy now ? lol

I fill my tank straight from the tap with my aqueon water changer. I dose the entire volume of the aquarium first with Prime. Just feel the water temp with your hand, then keep an eye on the thermometer in the tank and adjust the hot/cold as needed. I have had 0 issues doing it this way for years

I also fill straight from the tap. I Leave the hose above the surface, keep a canister and a sponge filter running to keep the water circulating while refilling.
If I do see too many microbubbles I'll stop filling halfway until they dissipate.

They can be if they enter the gills it can suffocate them and also they attach to pretty much anything, if they attach to the slime coat of the fish it will take parts off.

Out of interest what size bubbles are we looking at here? I assume it isn't bubbles from air pumps, co2 diffusers, filter spray bars and the like?

I've honestly never heard of this being an issue so curious how it gets to be a problem?

I fill my tank straight from the tap with my aqueon water changer. I dose the entire volume of the aquarium first with Prime. Just feel the water temp with your hand, then keep an eye on the thermometer in the tank and adjust the hot/cold as needed. I have had 0 issues doing it this way for years

Yes I agree with this.

They can be if they enter the gills it can suffocate them and also they attach to pretty much anything, if they attach to the slime coat of the fish it will take parts off.

I think you have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery than having this happen LOL, its quite rare.

I'm a deep private well which provides the perfect scenario for this as icy cold water which is then suddenly heated releases and traps gas within the water and I've never seen a issue in decades... There are far bigger things to worry about than this in my opinion.

Yeah good point I just come accross the situation on the net, never crossed my mind previously so thought I'd do a little more research. Knowing me I'd be that unlucky person and lose some stock! Iv found a way to prevent the micro bubbles now anyway so not worried?

I have been doing my water changes like this for a year now and no problems!! I bought a python hose off amazon works amazing!

Yeah good point I just come accross the situation on the net, never crossed my mind previously so thought I'd do a little more research. Knowing me I'd be that unlucky person and lose some stock! Iv found a way to prevent the micro bubbles now anyway so not worried?

Well, interesting anyways. Thanks for the share.

I have been doing my water changes like this for a year now and no problems!! I bought a python hose off amazon works amazing!

yup...its so much easier and no harm is done to the fish. Only time I use buckets is when I have a fry tank running, the current can become too much for them

Back
Top Bottom