Dead algae blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMPD109

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well the blenny and my royal gramma have been in QT since the 25th(15 days). Feeding a pinch of flake each day and some seaweed in a clip every other day or so. The QT was cycled and no treatments being done. The wife fed last nite and this AM when I got home he was belly up. The seaweed I added yesterday was not touched. The belly was bloated but no other problems noted. I did not check perameters today but yesterday all was well(amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, pH 8.0, salin 1.024, temp 78 ). The gramma is doing well and eating well.

Anyone have an idea?

What species of blenny. Not sure what difference that'll make but you never know.

Bloating can be caused by a few issues. Either the "pipes" where blocked, it could have been a parasite or trauma from netting. Notice any unusual color loss, stringy feces or redness around the anus? Eyes clear or hazy?

Cheers
Steve

Sailfin blenny- Since I added him to QT he has been eating fine(at least the sea weed was gone). He kept hidden in the PVC most of the time and darted as soon as I went close. I did not see any color loss at all but the wife said he Just didnt look right the night before. I did not see any feces at all(normally could not see the anus as he hid facing the front) and checked his eyes and body everyday and saw nothing by way of spots, cloudiness, sores or anything. The belly was not bloated until I found him this AM. She saw him at about 9:30 pm and I found him at 6:30 am. The LFS had him for about 2 weeks before I purchased him. I guess it may have been a blockage, but would like to know for sure.

The royal gramma still doing great and seems as happy as ever.

I am not sure what to suggest to you. A parasite would normally give you some sort of signs and bloating would usually take a few days to cause this severe of a problem. If "normal" at 9:30pm it seems very odd that the blenny would have a bowel blockage unless it had a rather heavy meal that late in the evening. Even still, it should not have caused such a quick death. I don't see anything that points to a identifyable cause. :?

Cheers
Steve

I had added seaweed on the 3rd and then again on the 6th. On the 7th is when I found him and the seaweed was not touched at all. I never saw him eat any flake and I watch the royal gramma chow for 2-3 min at each feeding.

It is possible that he had minor bloating as he was always in pvc when I got close but I checked him every day and didnt see any bloating that I can tell. I have read many of your posts Steve-s and read more in books and online. After my clown deaths after 2 days I have been very carefull. The new clowns did a great QT and are happy in the main and I was halfway through QT with these new fish. 2 weeks in my QT and I missed something.

Without more certain observations about the condition of the blenny I would only be guessing. I know it's hard when it was always occupying a piece of PVC hidden away but in the same token, just as hard to diagnose without some type of visible symptom or behavior.

Best suggestion is be watchful of the gramma for any of the same or new signs. It's a tough call when a fish dies without any solid evidence of what caused it. On the plus side you had it in a QT so the main is safe. FWIW, fish can sometimes pass without any reasonable explaination. I know that's not much help but... :?

Cheers
Steve

Well the gramma is looking and acting very poorly. I checked the water and it is 80 degrees, 1.023sg, 0 ammon, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrates, pH 8.2.

I have been watching him close but did not see anything until this AM when he started acting funny. Tonight he is lying on side motionless. It appears he is trying to hide his face as he swims until he meets a pvc and buries his face. The color was off this morning and a little bloating. This evening the color is bad and obviously swollen belly. A large spot on the belly looks infected(white looking sore). I am stumped again. I am getting ready to go do some research now.

Given the blenny had a very similar problem, I would think this some type of internal parasitic problem. Best treatment suggestion would be Metronidazole if internal. If the fish is still eating, also soak some of the foods in small amount of the diluted med. This part has me concerned though....

This evening the color is bad and obviously swollen belly. A large spot on the belly looks infected(white looking sore)
Does it look white from the belly expanding or like stretch marks on skin. Is it localized to just the belly and are there any red areas?

Cheers
Steve

well steve-s my gramma passed away this am. The entire elly(pencil eraser size)was white and even looked like it was fleshy. No red at all on the fish that I was able to see. I looked him over very well last night and was thinking that it was some type of internal parasite(ATJ's marine aquarium site). Unfortunately it was too late to start any treatment as he was gone at 4:30am when I woke up.

Is it me or is it the fish. Am I doing something wrong. I always think water quality but I test regularly in the QT and have seen no problem. What do I do from here? do I need to break down the QT and let it sit empty or what. I am anxious for some new additions to complete my setup but I dont want to keep sacraficing fish.

Sorry for your loss :(

Generally speaking, it wouldn't be something you did or didn't do. The only real exception being if the foods you feed are too old or contaminated somehow, which is usually rare. Your fish in the display tank would have also been affected had that been the case. Most likely the fish had it from the getgo it just didn't show any real signs until it was too late. Imagine the fate of your other fish had these two not been in a QT.

As far as new aquisitions, I would tear down the QT, bleach it and set up again. Cycle it for a few weeks and you should be set. Be wary about what fish shoppe you purchased these ones from, it could very well happen again.

Cheers
Steve

Would it have made a differencethat he had the blenny in stock for 2 weeks or so and the gramma was new and in a different filter system. Could they have passed it between them and both been affected that quickly?

Thanks again steve-s. I will tear down the QT and bleach it well.

Bacterial problems can easily be passed from fish to fish as can certain parasites. Even though the blenny passed first, it's more than possible the gramma introduced it. Hard call either way. Wouldn't matter if each fish came from a different fish shoppe, once both are placed together in a closed system, each will eventually become affected.

Cheers
Steve

I figured it like anything else will pass between them. I just didnt think it would pass betwwen them and kill so quick and without any signs beforehand. Each fish gave 24hrs or less of signs and they were gone. I think I am going to stick with my clowns for a while and get the QT ready for some future additions.

Back
Top Bottom