Dead crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iloveyaxo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I'm new to this, so here goes.. I woke up this morning and one of my crayfish (I have two), is laying on it's side. I'm thinking it's probably dead, but I've only had it since Friday. The other one looks fine. They have been eating, with no problems. I'm not sure if it's dead? When I look closely at it, it looks as though there are tiny arm-like/worm things moving around near it's abdomen. I'm not sure what type of crayfish these are because I recently bought them at a petstore that accidentally got them with their shipment. Is it possible that these little "worm-like" things are actually legs, like it's molting? I tried to take a picture, but it's so small that you can't see it. I see two things moving, like it's trying to grab onto something, so I know it's not from the current of the filters. Any ideas? Thanks!

If I were you i'd put the net in the tank and kind of tap it to see if it moves. If not (and it continues not to move), then you should phone the fish shop and ask if they can replace it free of charge due to the fact that you haven't had it for long. You should also test your water to make sure it isn't water quality (as the fish shop may ask for a sample of your water to test it and see whether its the water quality that could have killed it or not).

I hope it's okay. :)

Thank you for replying deadmanwalking. However, I just got home from work and found both crayfish laying on their sides, deceased. :( I don't know what could have caused it besides a water change. I did about a 15-20% water change yesterday; that's the only thing that's changed. Actually, on Friday (along with the crayfish), I had purchased 1 platy, 1 butterfly molly, and 1 sunburst (I think) platy. Out of those other fish, only the butterfly molly survived (I have 8 other fish in the tank -- doing well). Since those 2 had passed 2 days after purchase, I took them back to the petstore and got refunded my money. They also did a water change and my ammonia was a little bit high, and so was something else; either nitrates or nitrites (I get them confused). They want me to bring in another sample in about 2 more days. So I'll have to see if I've fixed the issue by doing the water change. I'm hoping that no more pass away.. I've had the other fish for probably about 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom