Dead DT'S ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawnman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, today I bought a bottle of phytoplankton and the smell was odd. I have been feeding with DT'S for some time now, normally I buy the 15oz bottle but today bought the large bottle. The date on it is 12/15/04. The smell is not overpowering as the bottle says it would be (if it was dead), it smells like sulfur ( bad eggs), however it is not extremely strong. Would the larger bottle smell differant than the smaller? I do not want to feed with dead plankton. Thanks for any input you might have

The larger bottle should not smell differnt than the smaller bottle. One thing I hate about descriptive words like 'overpowering' ect is thta everyone has their own sensitity. I know someone who would probbly lose their lunch with the bad egg smell you describe. If this bottle hasnt been kept cool then there is a good chance the phyto is not good.

Sounds like its off, better to take it back & change to be on the safe side?

Cheers Shelton.

I sniffed the bottle at the LFS and it smelled like mine. I was worried too. Then, I left it out overnite accidently and boy, did it smell different then. Still, both smells (the good and the bad) are ruff IMO. Tuff call. Take it back and go over it withe the lFS. Smell theirs if they've got some opened. Or make'm open one for you maybe.

Thanks for all of the info. I took it back and exchanged it today. Pretty sure it was bad

I've noticed that different bottles of DTs tend to have that smell to different levels. At best, I've had new bottles of DTs that have no smell whatsoever...none. I think that would be the best case.

As some of the plankton dies, the smell just gets worse and worse.

After each use, I rinse out the bottle cap so there is no plankton drying up in the lid. That reduces the smell so that I can really detect when it is truly going bad.

I think it is just a question of how bad it gets before you decide it is so bad that you shouldn't use it anymore.

Purchase the smaller bottles and use them up quicker...

Back
Top Bottom