dead electric blue ales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have (had) two electric blue ales noticed one acting sad one day next dead and now the other done the same thing nothing appeared to be picking on them or anything no sign of sickness on the fish tank has been sat up for awhile now like6 months all the other fish are happy and fine just curious what happened to these to guys they were beautiful fish

First thing to do when something like this happens is check your water, no matter what the unusual event might be.

How long have you had the blues? Also, were they purchased together?

i had one for 2 months and one for around a month i have several other cichlids that have been in the tank for several years they all seem fine the electric blue that died first would just sit around like it was breathing very hard one unusual thing i noticed when they died they both had there mouths wide open

these fish were picking on each other at first then appeared to stop could just the stress of knowing the other one was on the other side of the 55gl tank have killed them?

I would not expect them to die without actually beating up on each other. Breathing hard and a wide open mouth sound like possibly nitrite poisoning, but I don't know why the other fish are not affected. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? Also what temp is the tank?

think you so much for the replys my temp is 75 have no way to check the water will get something and post results

Temp 75 is okay (if a bit on the cool side) but I was concerned about high temps robbing the water of O2, obviously not the case. Get some test kits as they will be invaluable to you now and in the future.

It seems strange that your ahlis would die off (in the same manner) while the rest of your tank is fine. I would definitely keep an eye on your other fish to make sure the your recent ahli purchase(s) didn't bring a disease into the tank with them...

What other fish do you have in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom