Dead Electric Blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
One up to a dead electric blue Hap! He was perfectly healthy on Friday. Woke up Saturday morning to him dead! He was the bully of the tank so no one messed with him unless someone decided it was time for a change and thing went to far. :( but they usually aren't active at night so I doubt it. My water is normal not sure what happened but I will be keeping a close eye on the others!

1) parameters please
2) what did he look like - beaten up or hollow bellied or bloated or 'fungused'
3) what was his poop like before - white and stringey or normal?
4) how was he feeding previously, what were you feeding, was he as active as normal?

please answer :) xx

Alk. 11

Temp. 75

Nitrite 0

Ph 8

Nitrate

He ate like normal once a week they get high protein but that isn't until today and they only eat 2-3 x a week. Also he looked fine the day before acting completely normal being a jerk to everyone but when I found him floating on the bottom dead he was completely pale and strongly like he had been dead for days! Weird

My tank has been running for over a year. Never had a problem the tank is def fully cycled. And the nitrates might be a bit high but nothing that would concern me. It never goes above that.

Sorry I just realized you were probably not saying my tank wasn't cycled lol

the way he was being a jerk to everyone tells me he was in a bad mood and let them know about it. which points to internal irritation imo. this can be associated with a parasite or disease.

i dont think its bullying as you havnt mentioned him looking 'beat up' when he was dead.

Moved to FW and Brackish- Unhealthy Fish forum.

Fish don't "get in a bad mood" because they are sick. With the information given, there is nothing that points to ANY specific cause.

Km84, can you give us some more information about your tank? Other inhabitants would be good to know, and have you added any fish to the tank recently?

ehh my friends jd got in a bad mood when bloated.... then clamed down a lot when was better.... it chased the other fish tons more than usual and sat in the corner, i assumed it was bad mood from illness.

and we have to work with the basics here. we have been given no desciptions of external damage - so i took it to be internal.

yes very good point - what inhabitants and new additions x

No new additions. However about a month ago I removed three fish due to their incompatibility. Originally there was one jd female, one convict female, one male convict female, two male electric blue haps, and one what I believe is a rd. I took out the convicts and the jd. I did so because I was told in the future there would be issues.

thats a lot of incompatibility. and even now there is some, i.e the african haps and the rd. is that what you have right now? if yes, then the rd probably jumped it.

Well we can rule out aggression. My second electric blue Hap is dead :(

Not sure what the rd really is its a little and a rescue he is only in there temporarily.

i used something to bring them down allso got live plants in there do they eat nitrates my nitrites have just gone down from 30 to 0

It is ok to have some nitrates I am not concerned with that I'm worried about some unseen parasite!

Back
Top Bottom