Dead End w/ 45g Freshwater Tank...help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blinkerbee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I have a 45g freshie. Here is a list of livestock

1. Mystery snail
2. 1 Yellow Male Guppy
3. 1 Platinum White Angelfish
4. 2 Male Dwarf Gourami

The tank's been up for more than like 6 months. I just feel it needs more fish. Maybe a schooling fish. But I don't know. I thought about making it an Angel Species Tank and trying to get a couple large driftwood pieces. I'm just not sure and feel at a dead end. Any ideas what to add to make it more interesting / lively/ better? If you had my tank where / which direction would you take it?

Thanks.

P.S. The tank is a corner. Not sure the exact name but it's got the shape of a bowfront except instead of a bow it has angular faces... perhaps called a "Hexagon Tank"?

Pics

Here are the pics to give you a better idea

Attachments

• Full Tank.jpg
    Full Tank.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Angelfish 2.jpg
    Angelfish 2.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Dwarf Gouramies.jpg
    Dwarf Gouramies.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 104
I would add a school of cardinal or neon tetras. Be careful because they may also become food for the angel when he gets bigger. A school of cherry barbs could also work.

How bout 4 rams. U could do any rams and if ur luck they could pair up!!

You could add a large school of very small fish. Maybe 30 Ember Tetras or CPDs. I suppose them being eaten by the Angel would still be a concern though.

The footprint of a 45 gallon hexagonal tank isn't very large so I wouldn't add the rams suggested, especially since you have the two male dwarf gouramis, but a school of tetras large enough to not get eaten by the angel would be nice. Rummy nose or cardinal, bleeding heart, etc. The tiny fish would get eaten at some point, so I would pass on that if you want to keep your beautiful white angel.

Thanks guys. P.s. Anyone notice the DG photo bomb in the pic of my angel? Haha

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would also go with the previous advice of adding a school of tetras. I think neons/cardinals would both pop really well in your tank, but there are lots of variety so find your favorite. IMO the larger the school the better, especially if you have 1 or 2 centerpiece fish. It makes for a nice balance.

I would add plants of a different color than what you have. You have quite a few plants, but they are all almost the exact same shade of green. Petco and Petsmart have silk plants in a few different colors of green; I have some that are kelly green, some that are bright almost neon green, and some that are forest green. I'd also add red plants, but since you don't have any of those yet, I'm guessing you don't care for them. I'd also get some tall plants - none of your plants look like they take up more than half of the height of your tank. I've found my tank (55 gallon) looks much more 'full' when I include plants that go all the way up to the surface of the water.

I like your gravel, but you could add a little something to it. I saw some beautiful black marbles at Petco not too long ago that might look nice.

But mostly you probably just need more fish. I don't think I can make suggestions on that one - just get what you love.

Cardinal Tetras are beautiful and a nice school would be very attractive and livens up a tank, could be small, but if you get them soon by the time your Angel gets bigger the Cardinals should be large too. Or Phantom or Von Rio aka Flame Tetras, would be too big for them to munch.

I don't know about the Rainbows specifically, there are many types, but check them out and how many you would need for them to be happy. They are very pretty Boesemani rainbow fish. There is a red one and a blue silver with red fins, all gorgeous!

It is time for a rescape! Driftwood, plants and stones

Yeah, hmm Cardinal or neon tetras would look nice in there but when the angelfish gets bigger they will become lunch.

Back
Top Bottom