Dead Gourami :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgan71163

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 dwarf gourami's (well 1 now) in my 50 gallon tank along with 2 parrot fish, 6 guppies, a molly, a platty, a giant snail, a plecostomus, and a spotted loch. When I fed my fish in the morning I noticed the one acting a little different kind of gasping more and swimming on his side just a little but I thought nothing of it. When I went to see my fish before I went to bed he was dead on the bottom of the tank :( my tank is due for its weekly cleaning tomorrow and none of my other fish are showing signs like my one gourami did not even the other one in the tank. I noticed that my heater was unplugged as well could this be why it died? I know they are hardier fish so it doesn't make sense even if my levels were a little high. I wanna know why it died they're my favourite fish.

Sorry for your loss.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?
Have you read about dwarf gourami iridovirus? It is very common in dwarf gouramis and it's my understanding that they can live with the virus for a number of months before finally showing symptoms and succumbing. This is a possibility.

Sorry for your loss.
What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?
Have you read about dwarf gourami iridovirus? It is very common in dwarf gouramis and it's my understanding that they can live with the virus for a number of months before finally showing symptoms and succumbing. This is a possibility.

I'll check my levels I know I've always had pretty high nitrate levels in my tank no matter what I try and I have heard about the virus briefly. Does this mean my other one can get it?

If one gourami in the tank had it, chances are the other carries it as well.
I think part of your problem may be overstocking, however. If by parrot fish, you mean blood parrot cichlids, they get fairly large and produce a lot of waste. If your pleco is a common or sailfin variety, they can get to 24 inches, and will quickly outgrow your tank. With the stocking you have, you'll want to do large water changes at least twice weekly, preferably more often. IMO, rehome the parrots and the pleco. Parrots can also be aggressive, and don't really make good community fish. As far as the iridovirus goes, (I may be wrong) it's my understanding that it mainly affects dwarf gouramis, so if you lose the other, maybe consider a larger gourami instead.

Read recent article from a university. The percentage of dwarf gourami that tested positive for it was staggering.

If one gourami in the tank had it, chances are the other carries it as well.
I think part of your problem may be overstocking, however. If by parrot fish, you mean blood parrot cichlids, they get fairly large and produce a lot of waste. If your pleco is a common or sailfin variety, they can get to 24 inches, and will quickly outgrow your tank. With the stocking you have, you'll want to do large water changes at least twice weekly, preferably more often. IMO, rehome the parrots and the pleco. Parrots can also be aggressive, and don't really make good community fish. As far as the iridovirus goes, (I may be wrong) it's my understanding that it mainly affects dwarf gouramis, so if you lose the other, maybe consider a larger gourami instead.

I do have blood parrot cichlids yes but for the most part they stay in a log and don't bother any of the other fish from what I can see. (No marks on any fish or chasing from what I have seen) I got my tank for Christmas so my albino pleco and parrot fish are not that big yet since they are fairly new ish but I will do cleanings more often

Back
Top Bottom