dead live rock and coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteDevil

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive got a ton well not literally but enough dead/dried coral and live rock(fiji pink) that I would like to use in an african cichlid set up. I got a large stock pot and a turkey frier base that I can use to boil the stuff up but is it safe to use this stuff? how would I clean it other then what I listed?

Its some neat stuff, one piece is a pretty large and hollow with a nice cave entrance to it.

HN1 and I have done this. We didn't boil anything though. We just gave the rock a good soak in freshwater and scrubbed it off, then rinsed a bunch. We used it for a Tanganyika tank and the fish really seemed to like all the nooks and crannies.

Agree, I've used old LR in African set-ups before without boiling. The rock will usually breakdown over time, helping to keep your pH in the upper range, which in a African tank is desirable anyway.

Yep, a local reefer OD'd his tank on something(guy is a bit of a lush) the coral has been sitting out of water for a year but in buckets outside where there is no landscaping at all, just asphalt. I figure if I do soak it instead of boiling it will kill any critters inside but since this stuff sat outside all fall and winter it did get some flora debris from fall in it.
I like it because you cant get real rock like this and frankly I like it alot but I wont be using it with the angels and rams lol. I really am digging these pink ones and think my 52g might make a reappearance as the african tank, its got a 10K and 6500K on it so hoping the 10k brings out the pinks better.
Thanks folks.

Back
Top Bottom