"Dead Live Rock" In Freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hamsnacks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Looking at decorating my aquarium, tank accessories are pretty expensive. My neighbor currently has about a 100 pounds worth of Live Rock, which he's willing to sell for maybe 1/10th of the price in store or online. I've read some threads stating if you put the live rock in Bleach for about 24 hours, and then boil them that should be enough to kill everything on the rocks.

Wondering if anyone has ever actually tried it and how it went, or if they tried a different route.
Or just your opinions on the whole thing.

Thanks

The noted method will work. You don't necessarily have to boil the rocks. After soaking them in a bleach solution, let them soak in buckets of water for a day or two, remembering to rotate occassionally . Dump the water periodically then refill with FW. Set the rocks somewhere to air dry for several days. Make sure the bleach smell is gone before stacking in your tank.
If you live near a rock yard or landscape company, you might pick up Texas Holey rock cheap.
Thats how I got mine. Less than 25 cents a lb. No bleaching headache, if you go that route.

wouldn't recommend sw live rock in a fw tank even if bleached it can still leech salt out

NEVER boil rock it can explode and emit poisonous gas

I have some rock from a fw tank I used to have it's yours if you want it
shoot me a pm if interested

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom