Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great, Delapool! I think that it's going to work out rather well.

Sent from my IPhone

55 gallon, 30 gallon, 38 gallon

Still staying put this morning. :)

I looked at seachem flourish glue which said it can be used underwater but not sure if there is anything fish-safe as well?

It's too convoluted on the driftwood stacking to glue outside the tank.

Misread the title as "DeadPools Tank" was actually stoked to see what kind of silly/yet awesome set up that would be.

Nah, it was the place of my parents farm and then the name of a small hobby farm we had.

Causes much mirth here as well at the local aquarium society as well :)

The catfish are loving the new driftwood. No idea why - it's local hardwood and out in the open a bit but they have been busy checking it out.

Busy days. Two angelfish have been unwell with a mouth bacterial infection. Treated one in tank with pimafix/melafix & triple sulpha. Starting to look ok, the lip is fairly clean now.

The other was treated with pima/mela and is now in QT for a bit over a week with triple sulpha and tetracycline (furan 2 on order). Treated with potassium permanganate at 2ppm on weekend and seems to have perked up. Still iffy though.

Activated a new slide (first one!) for the seneye reef. It is telling me the ph is 7.5 and the co2 probe was saying 7 so one is telling porkies. The digital ph pen agreed with the CO2 probe but will have to do a api ph test tomorrow (I think the moral is never own more than one way to measure ph).

Busy days. Two angelfish have been unwell with a mouth bacterial infection. Treated one in tank with pimafix/melafix & triple sulpha. Starting to look ok, the lip is fairly clean now.

The other was treated with pima/mela and is now in QT for a bit over a week with triple sulpha and tetracycline (furan 2 on order). Treated with potassium permanganate at 2ppm on weekend and seems to have perked up. Still iffy though.

Activated a new slide (first one!) for the seneye reef. It is telling me the ph is 7.5 and the co2 probe was saying 7 so one is telling porkies. The digital ph pen agreed with the CO2 probe but will have to do a api ph test tomorrow (I think the moral is never own more than one way to measure ph).

What do you think caused the bacterial infection?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a really good question on the cause. Filters had been getting cleaned, I know I did a complete water test several weeks prior to this and generally over winter it is pretty stable.

One other thought is that I have been using a commercial root tab made from white clay and organic fertiliser. I do wonder on what the organic fertiliser is exactly and if that may be a problem. No one else seems to report any issues so I've put that down to coincidence so far.

At the moment I'm guessing it may have been a few little things that added up but honestly don't know.

Tested the tank ph today with the co2 ph probe (6.7); api test (6.8); digital ph pen (6.9) and seneye reef (7.5). :( Plan to try re-seating the seneye ph slide chip and clean the housing next water change. Grrrrr. I'd love to get it working as could see ph across the tank.

Can you not recalibrate the seneye?

Yeah I know you are competent so was just wondering why a bac infection out of nowhere.

Bit worrying ?

True, true - good to chat on it. Tbh, this is the second time I'm wondering on these root tabs. Usually the angelfish bicker with no troubles so hoping a one-off.

The Seneye is annoying. In theory I should just place a new slide in the meter every month. The meter reads the colour change of the slide but air in meter casing can cause it to be wrong. Will try re-seating. On the plus side if it never works it would be one less ph meter :)

Took the plunge and hopefully ordered a co2 line splitter and two in-line needle valves. Tempted to get a ceramic diffuser for the second co2 line just to get it going. Took a look behind the tank and there is power cords going everywhere. Family have given up asking why I just don't get plastic plants.

Took the plunge and hopefully ordered a co2 line splitter and two in-line needle valves. Tempted to get a ceramic diffuser for the second co2 line just to get it going. Took a look behind the tank and there is power cords going everywhere. Family have given up asking why I just don't get plastic plants.

Would a spray bar not have been a better option to get co2 distributed evenly?

Would a spray bar not have been a better option to get co2 distributed evenly?

It's a good thought as have been thinking on this myself as no real internal powerheads on right side of tank. Did look behind the tank at the maze of electrical cords and will have to colour code them back to the timers in the cabinet I think. I may have to .... gasp ... remove .... choke ... something electrical from the tank to make it easier.

It's a good thought as have been thinking on this myself as no real internal powerheads on right side of tank. Did look behind the tank at the maze of electrical cords and will have to colour code them back to the timers in the cabinet I think. I may have to .... gasp ... remove .... choke ... something electrical from the tank to make it easier.

Haha I feel your pain. Fill the room with a spray bar! Haha.

New glass drop checker in. Nice and easy to read, liking it better than the fluval ones. Kept the fluval sticker though. Started off blue and gradually went to green (an hour before co2 shut off!).

I did get a few drop checkers so I'm tempted to put one on the other side of tank 4ft away. Not sure if that is just being geek'ish??

Tested potassium and got 75ppm. Test kit is out of date but always seems to read between 60 to 130ppm so idk.

Yes, they seem to really suffer if I reduce potassium so generally try to stick to my planned dosing even though it seems high. I should test tap water and see if I get any reading on potassium - maybe that will check the test kit is still working.

The drop checker seems to be staying green even when the co2 is off. I need to properly check this on the weekend though. The new drop checker is much easier to read but I'm using the fluval drop checker solution (new bottle) and just have a suspicion that it isn't changing colour much.

Not much to report. Somehow spent 2 hours on the tank today and looking at it tonight I'm tempted to do some major pruning next week. There are a few small clumps of BBA that need eradicating and the internal filter needs a clean too.

The java fern and melon sword look like they might have decided to grow after all. I'm thinking that if these do work out then in September holidays I'm going to pull out the ambulia and hygro and swap to some plants that aren't quite so high maintenance. Still waiting on the CO2 line splitter to arrive so no rush.

It's a killer when you spend money and time and stuff dies.

Just remember to hide the bodies...and propagate what decides to live.

Back
Top Bottom