Designer clownfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cameron6796

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible to breed snowflake designer clownfish by using *example* snowflake ocellaris and regular ocellaris or do they have to be the exact same fish. After all they are both ocellaris or would they recognize they are two different fish if not ill just save more for a snowflake pair

2nd can designer clowns even be bred from regular clowns ( ocellaris or percula ) or is it just a rare occurrence

You pretty much have to start with the phenotype you're looking to get out of the offspring. Not all will look exact, however, due to duplications, deletions, etc of genes. Culling is necessary if you wish to keep them looking like you want. I'm working with a pair of one spot dominos now who are very stubborn :)

Is it possible to breed snowflake designer clownfish by using *example* snowflake ocellaris and regular ocellaris or do they have to be the exact same fish. After all they are both ocellaris or would they recognize they are two different fish if not ill just save more for a snowflake pair

2nd can designer clowns even be bred from regular clowns ( ocellaris or percula ) or is it just a rare occurrence

It is my understanding that the various colorations are morphs of the same species. Like the fact border collies come in various shades of black, brown and white.
So if that's true, you would want to breed from a pair that has the coloration you want, otherwise it's a crap shoot.

Cool thanks so basically if i want snowflakes i would buy two juvenile snowflakes and pray they pair ha

Cool thanks so basically if i want snowflakes i would buy two juvenile snowflakes and pray they pair ha

If you get two, they will without a doubt pair. The larger one will become female. You just have to get them to be a BREEDING PAIR after that :)

Back
Top Bottom