Diary of the 29G planted tank... New pics 4/28/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, here we go again, another tank, lol. I will be doing this from scratch, once again, so any newcomers will have the opportunity to see what goes into the beginnings of a planted tank. Just remember, planted tanks are not just a hobby, they are a lifestyle..... :)

So here we go. Step number 1 in starting your planted tank.

Spend Money....... :eek2:

29g1.jpg

29g2.jpg

Taping the tank off...

29g3.jpg

29g4.jpg

29g5.jpg

Spraying on the background...

29g6.jpg

29g7.jpg

29g8.jpg

29g9.jpg

29g10.jpg

29g11.jpg

Boy, what a job that was. Glad I'm single, hehehe, or I'd be in deep doodoo, lol. When I finished, I noticed a big mistake. Black paint specks all over the walls, lol. Then I looked by the entertainment unit. Guess what? More black specks, lol. And on the entertainment system as well, lol. Was not a good day, lol.

Lesson #1: If you are going to paint the background on the tank, DO IT OUTSIDE!!! LOL

So I ended up doing a lot of cleaning afterwards. Got it all over the walls, entertainment platform, DVD player, Bass module, Stereo unit, Tape Deck, and more, lol. Spent over 2 hours cleaning, lol.

Nice job despite creating a mess. That technique for the background is pretty cool. One thing I learned about spray painting early on is to use a large piece of cardboard to shield overspray when you are on the edges, even when outdoors.

So, are you going to share where you picked up that nice decorative spray?

You had me laughing!! You are indeed lucky your single, paint on the entertainment unit would mean a slow death for you in my house! The lifestyle quote is right on. Thanks for taking the time to document your progress, I will live vicariously through you as I would love to get another tank going but just do not have the space. I have two small boys and all areas of the house are crammed with other stuff!

Looks like you are off to another great start, Wolf. If I got paint all over like that I would be sleeping in the garage for weeks. Looking forward to the next update.

Jchillin said:
Nice job despite creating a mess. That technique for the background is pretty cool. One thing I learned about spray painting early on is to use a large piece of cardboard to shield overspray when you are on the edges, even when outdoors.

So, are you going to share where you picked up that nice decorative spray?

I got it at Lowe's. It's over with the spray paints. I had to get a 2nd can, as it was still pretty thin in areas, so I let it dry and put on another coat over the top. That's when I made the mess, lol.

Update:

Got first shipment today. Got my Ceramic Cylinders, my Hydor 201 Inline Heater, my Rena Filstar XP2 filter, Crushed Coral to put in my filter of the 75G (just a small handful to up my kh a little and up my CO2. The light was on backorder for a week, and also has been shipped, will get it next week. Tomorrow, will get another shipment in, my glass top, fish food, and a few other items. Will have more pics as I start setting things up and adding my Eco Complete. Just too tired tonight to do anything. LOL

great idea about painting the back of the tank... I was looking at this same paint about a year ago for some other project I had. Never though of using paint for the background... When I saw taping off the back, I thought, Oh, he's going to put a back drop film up.... :)
Suppose it's not a good Idea to paint a tank that's already setup and got critters in it huh?? Drat!

Unless you were really careful, wouldn't be too good an idea. The filter and all the wires, hoses, etc, depending on the setup, might make it a little difficult. You'd also have to seal the top.

Update:

Pics coming soon. Fedex confirmation said arrival date for my light fixture was next Tuesday. Guess what? It arrived today, lol. I was flabbergasted. lol. So this weekend I'll be setting it up. I'll take some time tomorrow to put the Eco in, and give it a day to settle. Then the weekend, will set up my filter, set the temp, and add a few plants. I don't have much to put in for now, and may order some more plants, or see if anyone has any avail to send, and I'd pay any shipping costs. But that will come once I get completely set up. :)

Edit:

For the fixture, I thought it would look similar to my other setups, but nope. It is so cool looking, very sleek. I like, I like, I like, hehehe....... It's a Coralife 130W CF. I'll only be running 1 bulb util I get the funds to install the CO2. So, til then, hehe....

Ok, next step:

Putting substrate into tank and filling....

Eco Complete and supplies on bottom shelf:
29g12.jpg

Eco Complete placed in tank:
29g13.jpg

Begin filling tank:
29g14.jpg

Filling:
29g15.jpg

Still filling:
29g16.jpg

Tank is full:
29g17.jpg

Placed fixture on top of tank:
29g18.jpg

Now I'm ready for the weekend, setting up filter, transfer media, move some plants over, and test with a little ammonia to see where I stand for my cycle. Will also order a few plants that I want.

Rooking Goood!! Hey nice location for kitty to have some prime viewing pleasure! Kitty has nice taste in furniture too! :) My kitty is pawing at the screen! lol

Hey LWB does that fancy spray paint of yours come if differant colors like maybe a slate grey, or a sandstone red. Just asking because Lowes is 50 miles from the house untill ours is built and the commute would break the gas budget. Another thing is when you look threw the tank does it still have that texture finish to it or does it flatten out. Because I painted an old 75 of mine with flat black to get a good finish and then looking threw the tank it had one of the best glossy looks ever. Right now I'm debating on painting the background of my 72 bow or just leaving it plane glass. Just wanted to know how yours came out for you. Oh, when are the pics coming that include plants in the new 29gal tank? If its anything like your 75 I'm sure they will be awsome.

As for the colors, there is a few different types. There is the light color like on my 75G, then one a little darker, and then the black that I just did. I didn't see any shades of red like rust, etc. though. There's also other ones that look like hammered metal, in a couple different shades. There's a few various different types.

As for the look, looks just like textured finish behind glass. Looks just as good, but without the rough finish, like when viewing the back side of the tank. I really like how it looks. I think my next tank will get the hammered metal paint, soo how that one will look.

Looks great so far! I really really like the background!

The cat tree worries me too. Looks like kitty could even climb on top of the lightfixture so close.

I don't think I will have much of a problem. Once she notices how warm it gets. The fans are right on top, and blows the hot air out. If anything, she'll probably sit on top of the house part and watch the fish through the glass.

Edit:

Got my lighting hooked up. Took a quick moonlight shot to see how it would turn out. CF lights off, room lights on. Here it is...

29g19.jpg

WOW!!! That is going to compliment your gbr's beautifully!!!
Can we say jealous?

Actually, Bolivians. The GBR's are staying in the 75G, unless they decide to start spawning, lol. I hae moonlights on the 75G as well, but they don't do anything to the fish except make then a little visible during the night, so you can watch with the lights out.

Edit:

Well, here we go again. More progress, more pics.....

Installed the intake for the XP2:
29g20.jpg

Put together the spraybar for the XP2:
29g21.jpg

Installed the Hydor ETH 201 on the XP2 output line:
29g22.jpg

Spraybar installed on the XP2:
29g23.jpg

Intake and output completed. Now for the test run:
29g24.jpg

Power Control Unit ready, XP2 primed, Turn power on to the system:
29g25.jpg

Lights activated, XP2 running, all's a go:
29g26.jpg

One last look at the XP2, no leaks. All's perfect.
29g27.jpg

Tomorrow will run to the hardware store to pick up some screws to put in the right side of the stand, and mount the power controller (timer). That way it is not sitting on the floor of the stand. Will also move some cords around to make it look better.

Also, I added some new water to bring the temp closer to the 75G, and have turned the heater up. Will wait til all is real close, and tomorrow, will do maintenance on the XP2 and XP3, move half the media from the XP3 to the XP2, and move half the sponges, then bring both tanks back online, and add a little test ammonia to the 29G to see how I stand for the cycle. I also moved 2 pieces of driftwood to the tank, and also a small piece of granite from a broken table top. I boiled the granite, let it sit in the hot water 30 minutes, and cooled it off. Now it's in the tank. Hopefully the bolivians will use it for their spawning grounds, as they found the granite coming out from the caves in the 75G and using that smooth surface for the eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom