Diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johny

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I am getting a lot of brown algae build up in my aquarium it is likely diatoms, correct?

Diatoms feed off of silica, right?

I think I might be in trouble. A couple months ago a switched from gravel to sand. I wanted to use pool filter sand, so I went to Home Depot to buy some. No one there knew what I was talking about, but after about 30 minutes and help from several employees they directed me to a 100 lb bag of sand they assured me was pool filter sand.

Soon after I began getting lots of brown algae building up in my tank. It has taken me the last month to make the connection. Here is a link to the bag of sand I bought:
100 lb. Silica Sand-520.100.4095 at The Home Depot

So I am going to always have diatoms with this sand, aren't I?

2 days no responses?
Will I always have diatoms with this sand or is there a chance it will go away over time?

Is your tank established or new? I'm not sure about the diatoms unless it was a new tank and I think silica sand is a little different than pfs I believe if I remember correctly it's a finer grade of sand. But it's strange unless your tank is new and your having an algae bloom, not sure what's causing the diatoms? I know since I've converted all my tanks but 1 over to sand i have less algae than I did with gravel. :)

I've read alot on diatoms and the best answer I can think of is that diatoms feed on silica or silicon dioxide, it makes up the cell walls of diatoms, so when the silica is gone so will the diatoms.

Silicon dioxide is most commonly found in nature as sand or quartz, an sold as silica sand or kiln dried sand. These sands being made of quartz are most common in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings. They have silicon dioxide at an atomic level, (SiO2). Logic would say that your diatoms will feed off of the quartz until the silicon dioxide is gone leaving only the o2. However this would take many years I imagine so best my best guess would be that they will be there for some time.

Hope that helps? Bad news I know. Let me know If I'm wrong however, would be pleasing to know.

@tigroscr: Its an established tank. I have had it running for 5-6 months myself, and bought it used and established. The previous owners had it going for at least a year AND I think they bought it used and established. So its been running for a year and half minimum.

As for PFS and Silica sand being different, you are right. I didn't know better at the time I bought the sand, and my local Home Depot is staffed similar to a chain pet store; they want to sell you stuff they know very little about.

@ Normadu: I think you are right. I haven't read as much as you have, probably, but my reading has read me to the same conclusion. I was looking to have someone confirm my "fears". In the end its not the worst thing ever. I could get an oto and have an edless supply of food for him, LOL. I will keep reading and let you know if I find anything different.

If anyone else has knowledge of diatoms and how they feed on silica it would be greatly appreciated to hear what you know.

Thanks everyone.

@tigroscr: Its an established tank. I have had it running for 5-6 months myself, and bought it used and established. The previous owners had it going for at least a year AND I think they bought it used and established. So its been running for a year and half minimum.

As for PFS and Silica sand being different, you are right. I didn't know better at the time I bought the sand, and my local Home Depot is staffed similar to a chain pet store; they want to sell you stuff they know very little about.

@ Normadu: I think you are right. I haven't read as much as you have, probably, but my reading has read me to the same conclusion. I was looking to have someone confirm my "fears". In the end its not the worst thing ever. I could get an oto and have an edless supply of food for him, LOL. I will keep reading and let you know if I find anything different.

If anyone else has knowledge of diatoms and how they feed on silica it would be greatly appreciated to hear what you know.

Thanks everyone.

As was mentioned .... diatoms use silica to produce their shells, while PFS contains silica ... your tap water may also be a source ... especially if you municipality uses ground water. I've had it practically from day one of my tank .. ok more like after the first month. Below is a link i found useful about diatoms.

The Dreaded Diatom Bloom [Archive] - Aquarium Forum

In your case, since you got it so quickly after adding sand ... it's just a matter of the excess silica being used up. PWC's will also speed up the process.

There isn't much more to add than you've read already. It is a bit unsightly ... but I do have to say ... the brown has grown on me and helps give the tank a natural look.

Thing that scares me is that the sand I bought is silica sand (see link in first post) not regular pool filter sand.
I am getting used to the brown, but I liked my white sand better.

Back
Top Bottom