Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndmartin0120

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can diatoms kinda be hairy? My tank is two months old and just past two days it looks like a diatom outbreak but the some of the brown looks kinda hairy. Is this diatoms or something else?

I'm currently having the same issue in my tank and it is about 2 month old reef tank as well. I'm thinking it's hair algae but it may be diatoms as well I can't figure it out for sure in my tank but all the pictures of diatoms online are like a slimy brown looking algae and mine is fuzzy as well.

I'm sure someone will help us out. I would like to get a pic but it's so small don't know if it would turn out.

Also starting to get spots of bryopsis in sand bed but when I do my pwc this weekend gonna try to suck it out with vacuum hose

My levels have been zero for at least three weeks trates run around 10 though thought my cycle was over then

So just let it be and try and suck the bryopsis out the best I can? From what I have read that bryopsis is hard to get rid of is this right?

Sad day!!! I think my diatoms died out but in doing so it killed all my fish. I guess it depleted all the dissolved oxygen as the article said. My crabs and snails are still alive for now but all my fish are dead.

Back
Top Bottom