Did I spoil my bloodworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got a pack of blood worms 2 weeks ago and put them in the freezer and opened them today and the cube wasnt frozen, Its still very cold but not frozen, Would it be ok to still feed them or are they spoiled now?

If they were cold i would still try it. Whats the worst that can happen. i have eaten spoiled food before havent you? They arent premiture babies here, there fish.

How is everything else in the freezer? Does it smell bad? Is your freezer not working? If the package was sealed I would say it is ok to feed them as long as they don't smell bad, but I would get your freezer checked out.

I had them in a mini frige and it was in the frezzer in that and must not of gotten cold enough.

CleverBs said:
I had them in a mini frige and it was in the frezzer in that and must not of gotten cold enough.

I had the same thing! My mini fridge freezer doesn't work that well. And that was the whole reason I got the fridge. I've been letting it work for a month now. Haven't tried it again yet though. Waiting for I've to form I guess :(

Was the bag still sealed? If it was sealed its probably ok. But once the bag is opened I would throw them out after a week.

no they are in blister packs and they were still sealed, Iv read that when they thaw they lose almost all nutrituinal value so Im not going to feed them the worms, and just get some new ones i think would be the best route

If they're still very cold then they should be alright. Bacteria only grow exponentially at 40 degrees or above.

Think about the stuff fish eat in the wild. Heck, I've seen fish picking at other dead fish that must've been dead and rotting for hours in 80 degree water. Some fishermen bait fish with fish guts that have been left at room temperature for hours.

I bet your fish will still prefer your half frozen bloodworms than dried food because of the high fat content. LOL.

If they aren't brown in color and stinkier than usual, I think they're fine. ;)

k thats how I am feeling, I agree that wild fish eat some nasty stuff but My fish live a sheltered life haha

Back
Top Bottom