Did my Pictus Cat yell at me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up a Pictus Cat tonight . . . .beautiful fish, brutally devoured a tubifex cube . . .it was a real riot to watch.

My question is this . . .is it my imagination, or did I hear it make angry noises at me when I was transferring it from the bag to the tank? First time I have ever heard a fish "vocalize".

Also thought they were supposed to be a peaceful fish . . .he's not really bothering anyone else, but he is a spaz. Hoping thats just because he's exploring his new surroundings.

Completely normal. It's sorta a defense mechanism the catfish uses to scare you away. Alot of catfish do this.

Raphael catfish are coined 'the croaking catfish' for this reason. Don't take too much offense, I'm sure he meant well. ;)

Pictus are relatively peaceful to fish their size(they have been known to pick off smaller fish), but are very active at times. He should calm down as he gets used to his new surroundings.

I caught a huge catfish once at Lake Powell. I was trying to take the hook out and this thing screeched at me so loud I drop him and screamed like a little girl! I finally got him back in the lake, but I was traumatized afterwards. LOL! Needless to say, I stuck to waterskiing the rest of the trip.

I have found that a Synodontis Eupterus actually lets out a cry in the water that sounds like a screaming and crying baby. Now that was a scare ......

I had several small S. eupterus in a 55 with an ornate bicher once. The bicher ate the litle cats, and they would "squeak" when it had them in it's mouth. 8O It was almost like a casll for help, but there wasn't much I could do. :(

i haven't heard my pictus scream but i do hear my salmoncatfish grunt.... it's weird when you catch them, it does startle you a bit.

My Gold Gourami makes click sounds, but only when I feed him his favorite food; Blood Worms. I guess it means he is happy, either that or he is telling all of the other fish to stay away from "his" food. :)

clown loaches apperently make some kind of clicking noise

Yep my clown loach clicks whenever he finds the food tablets that I drop in for him. I also decided its a "happy sound" or maybe a "thank-you" LOL :)

I've never heard mine do that, but I have heard plenty do that growing up and going fishing with my brother.

My pictus used to be really active when I fed him, but now he hides until I turn off the light. He'll run around in the tank all day in natural light, but he really hates the tank light on. It kind of bums me out.

My columbian catfish makes croaking noises. It's rare that I hear it over the HOB filter, but everytime I turn it off to clean or anything I can hear her clicking very loudly. So cool!

Back
Top Bottom