Diftwood or not?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydavis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok me and my son were walking around your pond today and i noticed these pieces of wood and got and idea to put they in my tanks. But i am not sure if they are diftwood (what is exactly diftwood) or just old logs. So I have posted some pictures of the pieces i want to use. Next question is it safe to put these in my take of or they need to be srayed with something.

Also I seen this grass and also wanted to know if it was ok to put it in the tank.

I washed the wood and grass off with the water hose.

Attachments

• Fish 001.jpg
    Fish 001.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Fish 002.jpg
    Fish 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 57
  • Fish 003.jpg
    Fish 003.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Fish 004.jpg
    Fish 004.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 58
and here is the grass i was talking about

Attachments

• Fish 005.jpg
    Fish 005.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Fish 006.jpg
    Fish 006.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 52
Only aquatic plants grow robustly under water....I would not put anything in my tank that was not a true aquatic plant. They will eventually rot and pollute your filtration system.

There are some plants that have two forms, one of which is submersible. These plants can be grown in your aquarium, but you will have to trim them, plant them in your tank and allow them to grow their submersed foiliage.

It is likely that that very nice grass is not a true aquatic grass and will just die in your tank despite nutrients and lighting.

Check out www.plantgeek.com and look at giant hairgrass and other varieties of grass that are more appropriate for your tank.

driftwood

I would soak the wood for a few weeks to get the tannins out. Put it in the dishwater and run it through once or twice (WITHOUT SOAP) or boil it for about an hour.... then put it in your tank after soaking it for a few hours in de-chlor'd water....

Actually two small pieces I have, I just ran through the dish washer and tied a rock to them with some some thread.... Sometimes if the wood has a bunch of tannins in it it can turn your tank water murky.... so wanted to give you the right way and my way!

I have heard of people soaking them in a vinegar/water mix or a salt/water mix and then having to soak them to get the vinegar and salt out. Way i was told is that the dishwasher water should be hot enough to kill most stuff...

...but putting ANYTHING in your tank you always run a risk of something unexpected happening.

Also take note that driftwood naturally lowers your pH level, so keep testing after you put it in. My tap water has a high pH (about 7.6 - 7.8), after a few days my tan water (after adding the driftwood) is down to about 7.2.

ok thx i am boiling 3 small pieces now and i called the local petstore and they said the bigger pieces that wont fit in a pot they have suggest to BAKE them BUT make sure they dont catch on fire. I maxed out my credit card on the fish, rocks, and few accesories i have plus what new things i bought for my new 55 (i'm so happy) so both of them are kinda empty beside rocks and a few plants. So thats why i am try wood from my pond.

ok now that i smell them boiling it smells like fat lighter is that just the way boiling wood smells but it dosent look like fat lighter is that ok as long as i boil it for about 30 minutes

also ...check out the classified adds forum. Many people give away plant cuttings for the cost of shipping. :D You can get some really great stuff.

Alot of people will be pruning their tanks and sending out the cuttings before the cold weather sets in. Keep your eyes open.

not a expert but i would figure out what kind of wood that is. hard wood is whats needed for aquariums. also if the pond was polluted i wouldn't use anthing from it.

Agreed^^^. The only time Ive ever used something from the wild was a plant specimen, and it was because the lake was very secluded from people=> lack of major pollutants. I would find out the type of wood too. Was the wood already in the pond or on shore? I will say tho that a nice piece of driftwood can really be great looking in an aquarium

some pieces were in the water half buried in sand and other ones was out of water only because the pond has went down it is my pond and there are all kind of fish in it bass, brem, catfish, carp, and so on

Some of them look like a softer wood and they might cause major problems with the water chemistry if that is the case. Any of the plants that are collected from a pond can have dragonfly nymphs or any number of things that can be transfered to your tank.

The wood so far no problems in my tank, and all I did was run it through the dishwasher. My CAE and SAE like the one piece I put in.

But still at the same time any time you put anything in your tank you run a risk.

or maybe the one just has a thread fetish... had to tie a plant to it with thread. The little Siamese like the wood :)

Back
Top Bottom