Disaster strikes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Man.. after the worst winter ever we get a nice span of weather here in boston. Hot, sunny. Beautiful !! You'd think right?!? I've been so freaking busy I havnt bothered to regulate the temp of my place, tanks hit 86!!!! I've lost more fish in the last 3 days than I can remember. Both apisto panduro, neons, amano shrimp, my male gbr is mia.. i havnt disturbed the whole tank looking for him yet.. maybe he's looking over eggs somewhere as they like the heat. This sucks.. put in the ac's and getting the rooms cooled down.. on a side note, the leopard frog pleco that literally never comes.out during the day was out and about?? Maybe he needs a warmer tank?? Or he was to hot to retreat when lights came on.. corys are just fine and the apisto cacs are in spawn. It's strange actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feel you. I haven't lost any fish this week, but temps are just below 90° currently. My a/c unit stays set on 68° and my tanks are staying ~77° without heaters right now.

I feel you. I haven't lost any fish this week, but temps are just below 90° currently. My a/c unit stays set on 68° and my tanks are staying ~77° without heaters right now.

Could have stayed in front of this had i just put the ac's in..

Oh noooo. Sorry for the losses, hopefully everything else is okay and the gbr makes a lively appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I can't imagine that your GBR would have problems at 86.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm real sorry to hear this.
Co2 in tanks with highest loss or no?
I wonder if the heat hits differently with o2 and all?
I'm surprised by some of the fish you mentioned.
Not liking high temps,and dying "shortly" are two different things IMO and cories are the survivors huh?
Big argument about them and heat!
I hope you get this worked out.
I haven't used my ac yet.

Male ram is dead:( he was over a year old:(

I'll ram you when you are ready if you need.

I dunno, may just let the female have the tank.. moving soon anyways.. less fish to net the better I suppose. When I get settled I'll hit you up for sure!

Sorry to hear this Brookster

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very sorry :( lucky for me my house isn't allowed to get too warm. I've been keeping an eye on temps though. Highest so far is 80 in the JD and nano SW.

Caleb

Sorry for your loss. Our temps here went from 40-50s to 90+ almost over night. We missed Spring and went straight to Summer. Temperature in the house was high, I just got around to putting the AC in yesterday, but I haven't lost any fish.I have neons, mollies, guppies, and danios. Oh and a Beta. He has been enjoying the high temps.

Wahhhh. Get a heater controller! Even though this didn't have to do with the heater it would have at least sounded an alarm when the tank went above whatever temperature you set it at.

Sorry to hear this Brookster. Welcome to fish keeping :( No matter how much you prepare and pre adjust your tanks, things like this will happen. For example: I used an old reliable heater on my 1/2 black Angels and 1/2 Black Zebra Lace pairs as well as some others. One day, I happen to notice the Zebra Lace hanging close to the surface and the 1/2 black mate was on the bottom of the tank panting. I check the temp and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's over 95 degrees. The glass tube of the heater had broken and was full of water and the heater was just cooking the fish. Thankfully, I was there and got things done to save them. Don't you know, about 3 weeks later, the same darn thing happened to another heater in my 1/2 black pair. Again, I HAPPENED to be working on that side of the building when I saw it and was able to save the fish. Had I not been, I would have lost both pairs for sure.
So take comfort in the fact that when you keep fish long enough, we have all been there at some point. :banghead:
Sounds like a good plan to not restock until after you move. Much less stress on the fish as well as yourself. (y)

Sorry to hear.
I've been watching the house temps closely, but then the central has been on since outside has reached 30c during the day.

Ouch, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Good luck with your move, and best wishes for your fishes at the new pad.

That sucks! Your panduros were so cool!

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

Thanks for the kind words people's. I guess it could have been far worse. Moral of the story.. pay attention to things and stuff..it matters!

Back
Top Bottom