discus growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRcichlids

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i have just bought 10 2 inch discus from a local breeder they are very good quality bred from chens discus.

they are in a 200LTR aquarium plated . how long would it take for them to get to 5 inches if i did 2 water changes a week and fed them quality beefheart and tetra prima ?

10 in 200ltrs is too many and wont be suitable for their long term. Did you cycle this tank first? If not you need to do 50% changes daily Minimum and would look more at 50% twice daily. If it's properly cycled and established i would be doing 50% tri weekly changes. Keeping discus is a science and they should definitely not be put into an uncycled tank. Extra filtration is needed as is pritine water quality. If your tank isnt cycled youve taken on a huge task and may struggle with their health if you dont change large amounts of water regularly.

Space and water quality is just important as food for growth. Feed them 3-4 times a day.
If theyre 2inchs now. In 12 months they could be 5-6 inchs in size.

Last edited:
the more I read about discus, the more I want to stay away from them.
Beautiful fish, but I just do not have the time to dedicate to them.

the tank has been cycled for over 2 years. im getting a bigger tank soon for them . i have 3 other 20g long tanks available in my small fish room. im hoping to get a breeding pair out of the group.

the more I read about discus, the more I want to stay away from them.
Beautiful fish, but I just do not have the time to dedicate to them.

thing i dont get ois in there natural habitat discus live in murky dark water and in the hobby our tanks we have to have crystal clear pristine water.

I would agree with the 12 month timeframe. I do 30-50% water change every 2 days. Feed 3 times daily with high protein variety. I have 13 discus with my kingpin being a 7 inch fire red in 110g bb tank. They do take a lot of work because of the water quality requirements but I enjoy them so much that the work never seems to bother me.

Back
Top Bottom