Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello i have a 240 litre tank with 2 angels 4 panchax 2 bolivian rams 2 ottos 2 sterbai 2 glass catfish 6 rummy nose and 1 betta 1 bala shark.
My problem is my angels are both females and they spawn at the same time being very aggressive. Could i swap them for 2 or 3 discus's would this work?

I recommend that you research their requirements. They are extremely sensitive to water quality, and IMO wouldn't do well with fast moving tankmates such as the bala shark and the school of tetras.

Further to that point I personally would not keep discus in a 44 Gallon due to the fact that they are a schooling fish that ideally should be kept in larger groups than you would be able to fit into a 44 Gallon.

My advice is to stick with smaller colourful south american cichlids if you want that kind of set up.

Furthermore, discus thrive in soft water and do not do so well in hard water so an RO Unit is essential. A 44 Gallon is ok for a group of smaller juveniles with some good size hardy tetra such as full grown cardinal tetra (must be peaceful)
Alternatively a shoal of harlequin rasbora would compliment the colours. However, do remember that an upgrade WILL be necessary in the not too distant future.

Hope this helps :)

AmazonFanatic said:
Further to that point I personally would not keep discus in a 52 Gallon due to the fact that they are a schooling fish that ideally should be kept in larger groups than you would be able to fit into a 52 Gallon.

My advice is to stick with smaller colourful south american cichlids if you want that kind of set up.

Furthermore, discus thrive in soft water and do not do so well in hard water so an RO Unit is essential. A 52 Gallon is ok for a group of smaller juveniles with some good size hardy tetra such as full grown cardinal tetra (must be peaceful)
Alternatively a shoal of harlequin rasbora would compliment the colours. However, do remember that an upgrade WILL be necessary in the not too distant future.

Hope this helps

As far as hard water goes, I have 7 discus that are kept in extremely hard water. They're happy healthy and huge.

If i were to go species only how many would i be able to have in a tank my size?

I did not say they cannot survive in hardwater, however they thrive in soft water due to their natural habitat being soft water.

Was only a suggestion. I apologise, 52 Gallon (Imperial)

As juveniles no more than 5, but there will never be true agreement on anything involving fish, but my discus grew up in a 350 trigon, only to be moved into a 740 litre after 18 months. I had 7 in the 350 so juveniles are ok in smaller aquaria.

Again, it is only my personal opinion, the bigger the better.

Would it be ok to have 4 or 5 if thats all i had in the tank? Also thanks for helping everyone

I would do 5 in a 63 gal. Odd numbers of discus seem to do better than even numbers. They need pristine water. Water changes several times a week is best.

Water change everyday? Maybe i should just get one see if i can keep it alive for a month before i buy more. Their pretty expense lol i dont want 5 dead fish at £30 each

I swapped them for two discus, they have been in for a day so far so good. How long before i can be sure their ok and introduce more?
Also if i get 3 more i will have to rehome some of my original stock what do you suggest i part with to make my tank more discus friendly? Thank you

You could definitely do without the bala shark, they can get big. What other fish in the tank are you not very attached to? The panchax are considered semi-aggressive but I think its mostly to smaller fish which will eventually be the rummynose because I think panchax get to be 4" and rummynose just 2. Rummys are great for discus tanks because at the first sign of distress, their red noses fade.

Ok im so impatient ive bought 2 more so i have 4 all together. Iv turned the temp up to 27 degrees c. I have asked my friend if he wants the 4 panchax as i think they will have the biggest bioload. My rummy's nose are bright red so thats a good sign. I know i shouldnt really have the shark but hes my favourite, i will unfortunatly have to rehome him one day.
I will post pics of the discus shortly but they hide a lot lol. Sorry for bad spelling and gramma im on my phone. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom