Disturbed Live Sand.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyHabits

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
NOW I KNOW.....do not disturb the sand. Thinking I was doing a great job by moving the sand around near the front of my sea world, a total big mistake.
Water tested: perfect.
Fish & Corals: look healthy.
Food: omega one, new life spectrum, & brine shrimp.
Supplements: Selcon & garlic once a day.
Equipment: ALL ABOVE AVERAGE
? 6 of my fish appears to have ICH. SEPERATE tanks never worked well with me, so I must ? & turn the entire tank into a hospital tank. I've READ & WATCHED so much stuff, that my only conclusion is to experiment & totally listen to LFS expert.
Make sure all equipment is working, UV sterilizer, etc.
Offer frequent small meals throughout the day.
Increase my supplements
Keep it covered for less stress
Make no new changes ( no fish no corals )

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427051991.248985.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427052181.938118.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

UV sterilizers won't do anything towards solving your problem. A large amount of the water column needs to go through it to make it effective, and our hobby grade ones don't do this like they do for our drinking water.
If you disrupted your sandbed as a 'cause' for your ich, then your water parameters most likely spiked from a release of nutrients built up in the sandbed.
Why do you believe covering your tank will be less stressful towards the fish? What is stressing them is in the water they are living in.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything if there are corals. Just do daily water changes like 20% feed some garlic extracts and hope for the best. Or place them in hosptial tank

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have you added new fish recently the ich has to be introduced somewhere it just doesn't materialize I doubt disturbing the sand bed did this.

Disturbing the substrate isn't going to do diddly-squat unless you have already been practicing bad housekeeping habits. I gravel-vac half my substrate every other weekly water change and have never had any issues whatsoever.
The only remote link between ich and disturbing the substrate is if you released previously "trapped" trophonts (believe that's the correct term) in the sand bed, but HIGHLY unlikely as you would have noticed ich before now if that were the case as the time spent in the substrate is only a portion of their lifecycle and lasts about 7-10 days before they are free swimming.

You should have also noticed something amiss a day or few before seeing cysts on the fish as the first location for infestation is the gills and why flashing and erratic, jerky swimming are the first signs of a problem as they are trying to dislodge them from their gills.
What you need to do is maintain as pristine conditions as possible and hope the fish can fend off a major infestation on their own.
Multiple small feedings will be counterproductive as it will increase the nutrient load. You do want to keep them well fed during this time, but proceed cautiously.

Thank Y'all....Yessss I have new fish. My solution was if I keep it covered there will be less dust & pet hair, and also, keep my hands out of it, which will decrease stress. Just recently took the top off because it was too heavy. I normally do monthly water changes but until I can see changes, I am doing weekly WC. I am offering different food with supplements: morning (flakes), snack (pellets), evening ( shrimps), and alternating red & green seaweed. Their appetite has increased. My house temperature is maintained @ 68 degrees now. I notice the water temp was fluctuating. Mississippi weather is crazy (hot one day & cold the next day).
I don't know what's working, I have not lost any fish at this time! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427577018.480927.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427577045.595915.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427577077.446306.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom