Dividing Bubbletip Anemone ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeaq

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did some research.. And decided to divide my rose bubbletip.

It was my first time doing this & the anemone barely opened once I had it ready to cut on the table.

I had a hard time getting a clean cut and getting it to not slide all over.

Hence I'm not sure if both halves got a part of the mouth..

So my question is, if one half didn't get a part of the mouth, will it die?
Or will it regenerate a mouth out of the tissue that is supposed to be the mouth?

This is right after the cut
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418337322.862583.jpg

This is about 10 minutes after they went back in the tank
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418337354.431063.jpg

This is what they look like now, about 3 hours after the cut.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418337436.434814.jpg

The one on the left has moved into the crevice, this one definitely has a mouth. The one on the right, is the one that I'm not sure got a piece of the mouth
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418337516.137462.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not an expert, but when you cut the anemone did you ensure that both halves half part of the mouth? I believe this is essential for their survival. The fact that they opened up as well as they had should be a good sign though.

I'm not an expert, but when you cut the anemone did you ensure that both halves half part of the mouth? I believe this is essential for their survival. The fact that they opened up as well as they had should be a good sign though.

I began with the intention of going right through the mouth, but as I started sliding the blade through it, the anemone was slippery and the mouth was basically the size of a pencil tip, so it was really hard to get a good cut. Next time I will definitely be using a scissor

Basically, yes. Just there aren't clownfish swimming around with razor blades. It is simply is forcing it to split and heal. I would assume if one was cut up by a falling rock or something that the same would also apply depending on how best up it was.

I know they split, I just didn't know if it was to reproduce or an aftermath from damage.

I know they split, I just didn't know if it was to reproduce or an aftermath from damage.

It could be either or depending on the conditions.

All I can do is keep dosing stress guard daily and hope for the best.

They both appear happy but I still don't know if the one has a mouth.
The tissue is definitely there in the middle but doesn't look like there's a hole

I would not dose anything to the tank. As long as the water is stable and pristine, it should heal up nicely without anything added to the tank. Additives and saltwater can very easily go south and I always think it should be avoided.

I would not dose anything to the tank. As long as the water is stable and pristine, it should heal up nicely without anything added to the tank. Additives and saltwater can very easily go south and I always think it should be avoided.

Thanks I appreciate the advice, I dosed it today but won't dose it again.

So far so good with people thinking they'll heal nicely. I hope they do!

While we're at it, the green algae, is definitely from the light being on too long right ? Just cut it down from 12 hours a day to 8. Hoping that the green algae will disappear

More likely some excess nutrients feeding the algae

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418512778.743061.jpg

They both settled into these spots and haven't moved in 2 days. They seem to be doing ok, what do you guys think?

They seem to be a little short on zooxanthellae. I wouldn't want to cut an anemone that was somewhat bleached. It's already lacking. Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks so in your avatar as well. New tank? That rock looks brand new. I would just let the two halves settle in and heal now. No, the green algae is not from keeping the light on too long. It's from excess nutrients. Watch your feeding/nutrient export.

They seem to be a little short on zooxanthellae. I wouldn't want to cut an anemone that was somewhat bleached. It's already lacking. Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks so in your avatar as well. New tank? That rock looks brand new. I would just let the two halves settle in and heal now. No, the green algae is not from keeping the light on too long. It's from excess nutrients. Watch your feeding/nutrient export.

Thanks I appreciate it. The nem is new. The tank is about 10 months old. I've been adding new live rock on occasion. I do feed 3-4 times a day, but have since cut it down to 2x a day and will eventually take It down to 1x a day

May I ask why you feed so much? Do you have a fish that has such difficult feeding schedule? I know they exist, but unless you are doing 3x the effort to export those nutrients you'll end up with parameter issues in the future.

I wouldn't want to cut an anemone that was somewhat bleached.
Actually, I wouldn't want to cut an anemone at all. My goal in this hobby is to make my inhabitants as comfortable as possible and allow them to flourish. I think putting an anemone through a large amount of stress is counter productive, but to each their own. Easy adding the new rock. Make sure it doesn't have a lot of die off or you may get an ammonia spike.

Just to update, I fed both of them a piece of krill yesterday and they both ate. So far so good.

Question : if I buy live zooxanthellae, will the UV kill them ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419188431.173900.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419188456.657855.jpg

Uv will kill anything that passes through it. But that said, you can't buy the zoo that grows in the flesh of corals and anemone that makes them photosynthetic. Even if you could, it wouldn't swim around until it found a host.

Back
Top Bottom