diy canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baffle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone here tried to make a diy canister filter, using a spare powerhead head or pump? I have an old phosphate reactor I might try,but i'm a little worried about back pressure and the pump overheating! thanks!

I've seen some around, just google "diy canister filter". There's only a few main components (inlet, filter media, pump, outlet), not too hard to make, but waterproofing is the real tough part. I'm thinking about making a trickle wet/dry filter...want to collaborate?

I have googled it. I plan on packing the phosphate reactor tightly with filter floss, and I worry the powerhead might overheat! I never liked trickle filters!Cost too much. Take up too much space. A sump with plants, sand, and rock, is the way I would go! (just my 2 cents)

I am confused as to the difference between a trickle filter and a sump, as you are describing them.

as far as your question, I would not pack floss in too tight, it will work loosely packed. I leave some in between the output from the tank and the drip plate in my trickle/sump.

a sump is anything you want it to be! You can put rock and plants in it. plus a heater, pump, light, cartridge filter, hob, sponge filter, etc. You can isolate fish, or anything else.The phosphate reactor, that I am using as a canister filter has a 295 gph. pump on it, its worked wonders in only 3 days! I pack the floss tight for finer filtration. No problems so far;)

there are a lot of diy canisters out there. the easiest ones i have seen have just been a pump in the water that pumps it out to a container over head then it drains back into the tank. super simple the one used a water jug. making more a traditional one is a little harder since you have to seal it.

is this for sw?

No, fresh, But the phosphate reactor is designed for salt. the bottom is sealed and the top screws on. It seems ready made for this application!

Back
Top Bottom