DIY CO2 "Jello Method" Recipe Opinions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stlouisan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if any of you guys could comment on how the Jello method of DIY CO2 is working for you. I'm currently just using the yeast and sugar water method, but I'm curious to try the Jello method.

My questions are:

1) What recipe are you using? I've read a thread that had a recipe, but I'm not sure I follow its logic: You prepare the jello(extra sugar in the jello?), solidify it in the fridge, add a proofed yeast slurry on top, watch it go? I assume you let the jello come to room temperature before adding yeast?

2) How is this method comparable to the traditional DIY method as far as CO2 output? I assume it's less, but lasts longer.

I've had my planted set up for about 4 weeks now. It's getting there. :D

I've never heard of this method before you mentioned it, but it definately seems like while it will work it will be much slower than traditional method. My other concern is that the alcohol levels locally will be much higher in the jello method, which would shorten the lifespan of the output. Other than a "cool" thing to do I cannot imagine it is better.

I'm running (2) 1gal juice containers on my 30gal tank using a DIY CO2 Jello mix. Here is my recipe:

1. Make Jello as per the package, but add an additional 2 cups of sugar to the mix before I make it.

2. Let Jello Set overnight or however long it takes. If you start in the morning, it should be solid in a few hours. Once it sets, I chop up into chunks and fill the bottom 1/3 of each container with Jello.

3. I use about 1/2 tsp of wine yeast (dissolved in lukewarm water) per container.

4. I then mix 4 cups of water and 2 cups of sugar and add that to the Jello and yeast in the container.

Using this method, the CO2 mix lasted me about 5 weeks before it started to peter out. All I did was pour off 1/2 the liquid and replaced it with an equal amount of "sugar water". That was 2 weeks ago and it's still going strong. The Jello is just about gone now, but I have another bottle ready to go. I'll switch out one of old botlles as soon as all of the Jello is gone. I think using wine yeast is the way to go, since it is more tolerant of alcohol levels. That is what allows you to use more sugar and increase your CO2 output. I also have a 2ltr bottle of the same mix feeding my 7gal Minibow.

7Enigma:

This is where I read about the Jello method. It's a very helpful sticky about DIY CO2 off www.aquariacentral.com that I thought I'd share with you and others.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31965

maxwell1295:

Thanks for your recipe. So you recipe uses only one package of Jello? And when you say set overnight you mean in the fridge, right, or @ room temp? I'll have to try your recipe in proportion to a 3L soda bottle and see what happens(probably take yours down by half). I think I've heard also of a method that just lets the jello set in the bottle, with the yeast on top and it slowly eats down on the jello. *I think*

I also need to try wine yeast sometime. Still using up the bread yeast I bought initally.

So what jello flavor/color to you prefer? hehehe :lol: [/url]

My mistake.....I should've clarified that.I use 2 of the large packages....I thin they're 6oz boxes. It really depends on the size of the tank. For 20gal and under, I'd go with 1-1gal juice bottle and cut that recipe in half.

I've got a 36 Gal. I guess there's always room for Jello :wink:

What I can fit under the tank right now is a 2L and a 3L bottle; they're in a plastic container in case of eruption or explosion.

Have you considered using a heating pad to "boost" the yeast reaction? I've read how some people put their yeast bottles in a smaller tank or bucket of water w/ a small aquarium heater to bring the yeast mixture to warmer temps. It would be good for me considering my tank is in the lower level where the ambient temp is 70degrees. But I don't want to mess with more water than I have to LOL.

Would a heating pad warm it up too hot?

Back
Top Bottom