diy co2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The plastic check valves do leak. I've always had problems with them so I never use them. I've always kept my generator behind my tanks rather than below the water line so I've never had water syphone. For me, simple is better with DIY, because the low pressure is so unforgiving. One minuscule leak and it won't work. For me, it's a 2 liter bottle behind the tank, and airline straight into the diffuser. I do get some nasty growth on the ceramic, but I just clean it off with a tooth brush every water change. 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon yeast. Lasts about 2 weeks steady lime green in the DC.

what type of diffuser are you using?

I have the fluval diffuser, here it is
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Ceramic-88g-CO2-Diffuser-Ounces/dp/B004GCO35G
This is the bubble counter I have to
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-88g-CO2-Bubble-Counter-Ounces/dp/B004GCPM6K

So to clarify you've removed the diffuser and you get bubbles into the tank?

yes, I kept the line in the tank water and pulled the diffuser off, bubbles, then replaced no bubbles

Do you have check valves after each each 2 liter bottle and between the bubble counter and diffuser? I'd say just try running one check valve between the diffuser and bubble counter.

Do you have check valves after each each 2 liter bottle and between the bubble counter and diffuser? I'd say just try running one check valve between the diffuser and bubble counter.

Not sure if your talking to me, but I only have 1 cv in use and it is on the line leading to the tank and my bubble counter is half filled with water

Not sure if your talking to me, but I only have 1 cv in use and it is on the line leading to the tank and my bubble counter is half filled with water
I was talking to the op and you I suppose. Really, if the check valve is facing the right direction and there are no leaks, it should go through the ceramic diffuser. It's really easy to get leaks. I've found the best way to make sure you don't get leaks is to drill the holes tight enough to where you have to pull the line through with some needle nose pliers, but not tight enough to where the line will fold. I've had good luck with doing it that way with no silicon or anything. I just use some super glue now around the airline where it goes through to be positive it doesn't leak. You guys have to have a leak somewhere. Like I said, the plastic check valves do leak. I had one before my glass inline bubble counter and it dripped water from the check valve. I'll post a pic so you can see what I mean and why it would drip water.

Attachments

• image-517497102.jpg
    image-517497102.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 36
ok so how come I get bubbles once difuser is off but then once i place it back on it doesn't do a thing? I will try this other cv I have and see if it helps any.... will post results

Edit darn I will loose any built up pressure won't I if I do this so I won't know a thing till what tomorrow?

Because the diffuser is hard to push air through. Try blowing through it. It's building enough pressure with the diffuser on to allow air to escape the leak point rather than enough pressure to go through the diffuser. That's my theory at least. Once you remove the diffuser it will take a while(hours) to build pressure again to go through the diffuser. You said you used soapy water on all the joints and c/vs?

well op originally said that but I did just test evey tube connection and I found a tiny leak at the generator tube that connects to the bubble counter I will use some silicone for time being to see if that is it...thank you for mentioning that...whats strange is i still was getting bubbles in tank w/o diffuser...hmmm guess not enough pressure?
I guess I will do what brianNano did...black tape it...headed to store maybe I will finally get this right

Since I have not disconnected anything (added silicone and black tape) therefore pressure is still where it was....how much longer should it take for me to see some action?

I'm not sure. I'm just a little worried that the silicone won't seal since its under pressure right now. Hopefully it holds with the tape on there. You might have to take it all down, silicone, wait for it to cure, and try again... :hide: You can always bypass the bubble counter. It's not absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure. I'm just a little worried that the silicone won't seal since its under pressure right now. Hopefully it holds with the tape on there. You might have to take it all down, silicone, wait for it to cure, and try again... :hide: You can always bypass the bubble counter. It's not absolutely necessary.

darn...do i have to:nono:

I know it's frustrating. I've been there. That's why i simplified my setup while I'm still using DIY. I took my 10 gallon down so now the co2 is in my fluval chi just to help it out a little bit. I had one of these airline connectors laying around so I didn't have to redo the cap and line. Here's mine as of right now.

Attachments

• image-1354959491.jpg
    image-1354959491.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1522889987.jpg
    image-1522889987.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 37
see my 20h is on the bottom of a double tank stand so I don't have away to make things level w/o cv

edit..oh no wait you dont have a bubble counter/gas exchange?

EUREKA!!!!
last night i try these things we talked about (removing/unremoving check valve and diffuser) and nothing seemed to work just the same old thing, bubbles into the separator but not the tank.
I was getting really annoyed, so i was kinda lost.
One train of thought came by and I removed my black silicone from the seperator to the tank and added regular see through tubing, what i was noticing was some water would go up the tubing about 3-4 inches and then stop, i brought the tubing close to the top and tilted it and bubbles were coming out a tiny bit. My conclusion was that leaks were not a problem at all in this diy system more like pressure issues, i started thinking about my reactor mixture, i was currently using 3 2l bottles with 2cups of sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast.
I decided to go for a higher dosage of yeast, to see if pressure was the issue, i decided to use 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and a packet of yeast.
It was going to me my last ditch effort and then i was gonna be done with diy co2 and just save for a pressurized system.
Woke this morning and to my eyes surprise it was working great!!
Now I just need to get that much pressure over a period of a 1-2 weeks. We'll see how long this mixture lasts for.
I'll post a vid of my success... wont be the greatest vid (used my phone)

Last edited:
EUREKA!!!!
last night i try these things we talked about (removing/unremoving check valve and diffuser) and nothing seemed to work just the same old thing, bubbles into the separator but not the tank.
I was getting really annoyed, so i was kinda lost.
One train of thought came by and I removed my black silicone from the seperator to the tank and added regular see through tubing, what i was noticing was some water would go up the tubing about 3-4 inches and then stop, i brought the tubing close to the top and tilted it and bubbles were coming out a tiny bit. My conclusion was that leaks were not a problem at all in this diy system more like pressure issues, i started thinking about my reactor mixture, i was currently using 3 2l bottles with 2cups of sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast.
I decided to go for a higher dosage of yeast, to see if pressure was the issue, i decided to use 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 tsp of baking soda and a packet of yeast.
It was going to me my last ditch effort and then i was gonna be done with diy co2 and just save for a pressurized system.
Woke this morning and to my eyes surprise it was working great!!
Now I just need to get that much pressure over a period of a 1-2 weeks. We'll see how long this mixture lasts for.
Here is a vid of my success...

Awesome I can't wait to see yours...I am just going to tear all down and start over I only have a tiny pin hole leak where the tube connects to bubble counter I pushed tube down as far as it can go but still not good enough

edit: wow nice job

Okay as I was getting ready to tear it down I noticed where my tubing connects on the bubble counter there is something I can screw over the tubes I guess to seal/tighten the tube connection in place....so I turned them and now the generator bottle appears to be a little tighter (at first very easy to squeeze and see a bubble in the bubble counter) do this mean my pressure may build properly now?

Back
Top Bottom