Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wanting to make a diy co2 for my planted tank! It's 29 gallons! can anybody give me some advice on how yall made yours? I read that I need
A bottle
Airline tubing
Check valve
Diffuser
And aquarium grade silicone
I have all of this so I might make it! But I want yalls suggestions first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Took the bottle, poked a hole in the top with a screw an hammer. ulled airline tubing through and hot glued both sides to get a good seal. Pretty easy. To kep the yeast going for a while I put the bottle in a vase filled with water and a heater around it to keep the water in the vase warm. My mixture for 500 ml of water was a little less than one cup of sugar, a tablespoon of baking soda, 3/4 a tablespoon of yeast and filled the bottle with water. Really easy and provides a lot of Co2. For a diffuser I used a cigarette filter. Have to change it about one a day. Got mine for pretty cheap, a pack of 100 filters for $2.50. DIY Co2 is easy and it really works!

Cool that you are making this first step.

It's been a long time since I did DIY C02, but I would suggest you add plumbers tape to that list. Most people I know (me included) had bottles that leaked around the lid without it.

What kind of bottle and diffuser are you planning to use?

And best of luck!

Took the bottle, poked a hole in the top with a screw an hammer. ulled airline tubing through and hot glued both sides to get a good seal. Pretty easy. To kep the yeast going for a while I put the bottle in a vase filled with water and a heater around it to keep the water in the vase warm. My mixture for 500 ml of water was a little less than one cup of sugar, a tablespoon of baking soda, 3/4 a tablespoon of yeast and filled the bottle with water. Really easy and provides a lot of Co2. For a diffuser I used a cigarette filter. Have to change it about one a day. Got mine for pretty cheap, a pack of 100 filters for $2.50. DIY Co2 is easy and it really works!

Thank you so much!!So it is ok to use hot glue? That would be perfect because I can't find my silicone!!

Cool that you are making this first step.

It's been a long time since I did DIY C02, but I would suggest you add plumbers tape to that list. Most people I know (me included) had bottles that leaked around the lid without it.

What kind of bottle and diffuser are you planning to use?

And best of luck!

Thank you! I will add that to my list!! and I have a few air stones to choose from! When I find them I will put a picture up and see which one yall think would be better

Air stones won't work for diffusing co2. Maybe if you had the bubbles go into a filter intake, but I never went that route with DIY. Instead, I used a Fluval CO2 ceramic diffuser. It's a pretty cheap diffuser and produces a fine mist of co2. IMO, 29 gallons is a pretty large tank to run DIY. I usually recommend less than 20g's. Personally, I'd go pressurized in your size tank. But if you can't pony up the clams for a pressurized system now, you can potentially run more than one DIY reactor and supplement with liquid carbon like excel (or cheaper glut alternative).

Here's a video that helped me construct my first DIY rig.

https://youtu.be/xHS6yEDPKSU

Thank you so much!!So it is ok to use hot glue? That would be perfect because I can't find my silicone!!

Yeah I used hot glue and it works perfectly. Everyone says silicone but hot glue works just as well. And air stones won't work. Just grab a pack of cigarette filters, chap and easy.

I was using hot glue on mine but after having a few leaks I decided to just melt small holes with a wood burning iron into the caps, pull through the airline tubing and leave it. I have yet to have any leakage this way, it is worth noting that I make sure it takes a lot of force to pull the tubing through the hole.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

I agree with the wood burning tool to make your holes. My diy is citric acid in one bottle and baking soda in another with an airline connecting the two. The co2 is instant and seems to be lasting quite a while. Plus it doesn't stink like jailhouse hooch! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the wood burning tool to make your holes. My diy is citric acid in one bottle and baking soda in another with an airline connecting the two. The co2 is instant and seems to be lasting quite a while. Plus it doesn't stink like jailhouse hooch! :)

I saw the citric acid CO2 generator in another thread (I think Mebbid posted it). Looks very tempting for a DIY CO2 source. I did DIY for a year. One thing I noticed was yeast was able to make its way past the bubble counter bottle and appear in the tubing as a goopy blob.
I drilled 3/8" holes and used needle nose pliers to pull silicone tubing threw it. No leaks.

Coming from setting up a yeast co2 generators for a couple years, the citric acid/baking soda generator is awesome. I disliked having to change out the water of stinking yeast. With the acid/soda though is like a breeze. I can't wait to build a generator for every small tank I have. To each his own though, if I wasn't a po' folk, I'd probably have a GLA co2 pro system.

I sketched up a plan for my father in law who wants to do DIY co2. I figured I'd show it here as an option for anyone wanting to venture the DIY route. I don't mean to thread jack....

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440081748.039750.jpg

Cha boi Jessie.

Back
Top Bottom