DIY filter silencer... for a whisper filter lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I figured out what was wrong with my filter. It is somehow loose, at the top where the flow control dial is. If I apply pressure with my hand on the top of it, it goes silent and starts working properly. When I take my hand off it starts sounding all choppy and spitting water. I plan on getting a new filter when I have some extra money, but for now I just want to get my tank cycling. Is there any way I could tie it down or something? I am not a handy-woman type of persone, so any help will be greatly appreciated :D TIA

Could you just set something on top of it? a rock maybe?

I was thinking about that last night, but it has to be a lot of pressure. I had to push pretty hard, so it would probably have to be a good 10 lbs lol.

As far the rubberband I think I'm going to look for something big enough that would go around it, I don't know exactly how it would fit.... thanks for the ideas though guys!

get a C-Clamp.....
CCLAMP.JPG

would have to be pretty large... i think i use a 10 or 12" when im doing a brake job on my cars.... but it would be a temp fix that you want with as much pressure as you need. just put a piece of wood or something between the clamp surfaces and the filter plastic to distribute the pressure a lil bit or you might end up with a crack/hole in the bottom.

Interesting, I have no experence with it so I am tagging alone.

Is the top of the filter level with the top of the tank? My aquaclear 50 was making some noise until I adjusted the leveling piece they include on the filter. After I did that (made it parallel with the top of the tank) it ran perfectly quiet.

I was thinking this was going to be a thread about silencing the splash effect from HOBs.

Well I am about to chuck this filter out the window because it is still bubbling. I have no idea what is going on with it, I soaked it in vinegar and scrubbed it with bleach water over and over again, drained the tank and washed everything out all over again, and when I filled it back up the **** filter still has soap like bubbles in it. I am sooooo confused. There is no bubbles in the water, just in the top of the filter. But they aren't like water bubbles, they stick to my finger like soap bubbles. Grr...

i used to get this a LOT right before i was due for a PWC when i used a HOB filter... i always attributed it to protein in the water? im assuming? i could be totally off though...

How about just running the filter in a bucket of water for a while to see if they go away? I'm really confused as to what would be making the bubbles. It looked like soap bubbles in that one picture but a good rinse should have taken care of that.

I think that is what I will do. I am confused as well, I soaked it for a whole day and then I scrubbed and scrubbed and soaked and scrubbed... lol. Have no idea what is going on with it.

If the O ring is worn, there will be air getting into the siphon tube. You can pull the valve out, wrap some plastic wrap around it and re insert. I have done this in the past with this type of problem. Hope this is of some help.

Back
Top Bottom