DIY Fish tank wall - structural question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 2x4 structure built for a 110 x-high tank. Do we have to brace it with structural plywood on both sides or can I just use waterproof sheetrock?

(pssst...this is Daniel asking the question, I have no idea what he's talking about!)

Are you cutting a hole in an existing structural wall??? If so, you will need to build a header for the top of the hole and shore it up on either end with additional 2x4 "jack" studs. If it is just a stand that you want to cover with sheetrock, I'd recommend that you build the stand so that it can support the tank and then cover it with the waterproof sheetrock. If you are still concerned about the tank racking the stand from side to side or front to back, you could add some plywood gussets on the corners of the 2x4's.
HTH

Waterproof sheetrock is not actually waterproof. The coating is, but any exposed gypsum will soak up water like a sponge and get soft. On top of that, if your looking to increase structural integrity, it is a poor choice.

If I remember the pictures she shared in the SW General forum I don't think it's a load bearing wall so she doesn't need to worry about headers. I'll third the gussets suggestion. Most 2x4 stands are over built, the gussets will simply provide it some lateral stability.

Non-load bearing walls still need a header depending on span. With out it, you will start seeing some seperation of dry wall at the ceiling level among other problems

Back
Top Bottom