DIY sponge/bubble filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! So some of my friends decided to join me in breeding mollies and they are sort of first time fish keepers. So for there fry tanks I decided to look up cheap diy filters that you can make that are fry safe. I came across a lot that recommended the use of water bottles and the sort and I was wondering if that would be safe to use? I know that some bottles can leach chemicals so I just wanted to be safe here and see what you guys think.

As always thank you!

soda bottles, water bottles, etc. most plastic bottles will work because they're inert (assuming it's made of plastic)

i use plastic bottles from gatorade, coke, and cranberry juice and i never had problems with them. i don't understand what you mean by chemicals. plastics are INERT, meaning they will not react under normal circumstance.

i use plastic bottles from gatorade, coke, and cranberry juice and i never had problems with them. i don't understand what you mean by chemicals. plastics are INERT, meaning they will not react under normal circumstance.

Oh ok then I will probably use them. What I was talking about was how some plastic bottles can leach oils into the water that are somewhat cancer causeing

Oh ok then I will probably use them. What I was talking about was how some plastic bottles can leach oils into the water that are somewhat cancer causeing

i would say nowadays you rarely encounter those kind of plastics and the usual everyday plastic are BPA free(doesn't smell like plastic), therefore i say full throttle ahead with coke/gatorade bottles

I Googled "reusing plastic water bottles" and the Snopes consensu was mixed: okay for freezing but concerning when heating the bottle in regards to leaching chemicals.
For this application it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom