DIY sump/overflow build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i just upgraded to a 30 gallon long tank from my 15 gallon tank i had previously.i will be using the old 15 gal tank for the sump. it currently has about 25 pounds of live rock. a few corals (mushrooms/button polyps/green stars) just easy grow corals. i am running a quad 36" t5 ho lights with 6 blue led mood lights. has a 1" sand bed. not a fan of deep sand beds. but to get to the point i am wanting to upgrade from my current filter set up. here is my equipment list:

jager 150watt heater
marineland 350 HOB filter (filled with live rock rubble and has a carbon cleaning pad for large debris)
prism HOB skimmer (rated up to 50 gal)
a hydor mini 425gph powerhead

the tank inhabitants are currently:
1 perc clown
1 royal gramma
3 peppermint shrimp
8 regular hermit crabs
2 turbo snails

i want to condense everything into my sump if possible. i will be running a 3 chamber set up. there seems to be endless debate on bioballs. all pointing in the end to not running them. a lot of people seem to be running a filter sock on the inlet of the sump to catch large debris. the middle chamber im not really sure what i want to do. but i would like to house my heater and if possible set up my prism HOB skimmer. that will be tempory untill i can get a larger skimmer to place inside the sump. besides that im not to particular as to how to set it up. so i am looking for some tried and tested set ups that work for others.

i will be building my own overflow out of pvc pipe. the tank will not be drilled. i have been reading and it seems that around a 700gph pump is reccomended for my 30 gal. this is to account for the 4 foot overhead the pump will have to acheive. should give me around 400 gph inside the aquarium. i would like some input on this. if it will be sufficient or should i go larger? i am also very unsure of the size of the pcv piping i should be using for the overflow. i was thinking about 1.5" would be large enough. but again i could be wrong.

so in the end i would like some recommendations on a set up for the sump. some pump suggestions. pretty much any input to get me going in the right direction. i am trying to do this on a smaller budget. i dont want to spend a fortune since the tank will eventually be upgraded again and this sump will be too small. this is more for a learning experience and to reduce tank clutter.

Bioballs are made to be used in a wet\dry trickle filter, not a sump. If you are not setting up a true wet\dry, don't use bioballs.

The recommended flow rate thru a sump is 5-10x the tanks water volume, so 150-300GPH. Good luck making your own pvc overflow. IMO, the look like crap and have a strong potential for flooding the sump if your power goes out and your not there to tend to it.

Back
Top Bottom