DIY tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have some glass sitting in my garage that i was able to get from work they were originally used for shelving the dimentions are 48"x16"x3/8" my question is i what to make a tank a little wider then 16", would i be able to rip two pieces of glass to 11" and use 3M 5200 silicone to bond the glass together and use it for the bottom of the tank?

the stand will be solid and have a plywood top for the tank to sit on so bowing wouldn't occur.

A center brace would prob be a good idea, other than that it sounds doable:) you should look at making some funky oddball shaped tank

i was going to make a 52x36x24 PLywood tank viewable from 3 sides but i decided against it. that would be a nice 190g reef

i would probably silicone a few cut offs as braces on the inside should help keep it from pullign apart also

lol its would be aq nice mixed tank, a blue tang would probably do well in it and thats really the one type of fish i would love to keep

So you want to bond two pieces of glass together and have a joint on the bottom piece? What is the difference between that and having a crack on the bottom? I would want a solid piece of glass if it were me, especially since you are looking at a pretty good sized tank if you tried to make it 22" deep... IMO.

22" wide and 16" deep, it would be abotu 75g. i don't see how it would be much different from joining the glass to eachother at the corners. the tanks bottom won't flex being on a solid topped stand

Back
Top Bottom