Do bettas ever recover from bloat ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, Yep - three hungry and healthy bettas. But I could swear they're giving me the evil eye for leaving them in the dark for 5 days .... if they could talk I'd bet they're saying "now what the heck was THAT about ????"

How fast did they eat ? SECONDS - and FLAKES no less. I figured they were good and hungry and since they would never eat flakes before that this would be a good time to introduce them to a new food. So now they can have flakes, peas and Hikari betta pellets - decent variety. I fed them a couple of pellets last night and then fed them flakes again today to reinforce the "yes, this IS food" lesson LOL.

No sign of the BGA (I thought I saw a teeny spot after the first blackout and I was right). I'll be doing another water change today to make sure I get the rest of the dead BGA up and out.

Its sad seeing that empty spot where Bubbles lived. I won't replace him until after he's gone; it just doesn't seem "right" to do that.

Its been two weeks and he's still active. He's one tough little guy. I tried soaking a pellet in mineral oil - I figured I had nothing to lose. Well, he didn't go for it LOL - just gave me that betta "you've GOT to be kidding" look. The only thing the mineral oil did was give me another opportunity to do a water change LOL
He's not quite as interested in food anymore - he chases it but then turns away at the last moment - I guess the bloated belly is starting to make him feel uncomfortable.

The other four guys are now on a new regime - 3 really small meals a day - one of those is flakes, and twice a week one of them is peas. Maybe I'm being overcautious, but it doesn't hurt anyone to do things this "new" way and it may help prevent this from ever happening again.

ps - I think the BGA is coming back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the tank blacked out for nearly 6 days .... this stuff is awful !

Wow - he sure is a tough little guy. I know how hard it is for you to look at him like that every day. :(

You may be a little overcautious :) on the new feeding schedule. I would say it's not really worth the time to do that - but on the other hand, I don't see what it can hurt and sometimes we do things to make ourselves feel better where our fish are concerned. :)

I've had 10 bettas in all, and only two died from bloat/dropsy. I think some bettas are just prone to it and there's not much you can do if it strikes. (This is not to say don't try anything to treat.) The betta that I referred to previously - the one that did recover from bloat - well, four months later he died of bloat/dropsy. I was able to hold it off once, but in the end it got him. :( I'm still pulling for your little guy.

The new feeding schedule also gives me a chance to interact with them a little more (instead of just constantly talking to them LOL), so there's something "in it for me" too LOL

Interesting about your betta that had initially recovered from bloat; you're right, sometimes there's just nothing that can be done (not for lack of trying !).

It so tough to watch but I keep hoping for a miracle too.

I had to euthanize Bubbles today. He's not been eating and the past few days he just laid in the corner on the bottom of the tank - and he was getting even bigger, the poor guy. I felt too guilty leaving him to suffer.
Rest in peace Bubbles, and thank you for being a part of my life even if only for a few months - you were my first bubble nest builder. I will always cherish that memory of watching you place one tiny air bubble at a time into your bubble nests; you allowed me into your world and allowed me to see, for the first time, a wonder of nature only inches from my eyes, and I shall never forget you fo that.

I've had luck using Maracyn II for my fish that've gotten dropsy, though I've only saved a few that've caught it, mostly cuz I caught it early. I hope he gets better!!

I'm so sorry about Bubbles. At the same time I really feel like you did the right thing. It isn't fair to just let them suffer.

I'm glad you were able to give him a good life.

Back
Top Bottom