Do Butterfly Plecos NEED driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreyLynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! So today I bought a butterfly pleco, this little guy here -

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459658373.109505.jpg

- and I've been doing some reading. I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether or not his species needs driftwood to survive or not. If he does, can someone please explain why? Thank you in advance!

Butterfly pleco survives on an algae diet, add plenty of vegetable matter in the aquarium, cucumber and zucchini are ideal for this. Wood should also be included in the setup as they will gnaw at this to aid their digestion.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Butterfly pleco survives on an algae diet, add plenty of vegetable matter in the aquarium, cucumber and zucchini are ideal for this. Wood should also be included in the setup as they will gnaw at this to aid their digestion.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

+1

Nice fish!
All I have to add is that plecos all need fiber in their diet, and gnawing on driftwood is one way to get it. When I had my BN pleco, I used cholla wood and he loved that. Won't leach tannins and works awesome for the purpose.

Thank you all for the replies and the compliments on my little pleco! My other question that I forgot to ask was - would adding driftwood to my tank change anything? Would I have to add new chemicals to balance it out, or I heard the wood leeches "tannins"? What is that?

So okay so far I'm thinking I'm going to have to get him some driftwood in the next few days. I hope he'll be okay until I can get to the store. :/

Wood is an excellent bed for biological growth. I can gauruntee that your pleco would thank you for the addition of wood if he had the means

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for the replies and the compliments on my little pleco! My other question that I forgot to ask was - would adding driftwood to my tank change anything? Would I have to add new chemicals to balance it out, or I heard the wood leeches "tannins"? What is that?

So okay so far I'm thinking I'm going to have to get him some driftwood in the next few days. I hope he'll be okay until I can get to the store. :/

Lots of driftwoods release tannins into the water, which is basically something that lowers the pH of the water (not in a bad way, a lot of fish actually appreciate this) and turns the water kinda brown. There are Amazonian tanks that have lots of driftwood to recreate the natural habitat of the fish, in tannin heavy water. It will basically look like tea. Cholla wood doesn't release tannins, doesn't affect your pH and plecos love it.

Back
Top Bottom