do fish.. bruise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I just got back from my LFS, picked up some goodies.

My 2 liter DIY into my powerhead just isn't going to cut it when i get my lights (hopefully monday) (96 watts in a 44 gallon pent) so i bought nutrafin natural plant system (also yeast based) Its pretty cool. ANYWAY, to the point

I picked up 3 new bags of fish: 4 black phantom tetras, 2 small cherry barbs (to be friends with my big cherry barb)

and a boesami rainbowfish.

With the rainbowfish, the guy at the lfs kinda treated him roughly, i think it got pinched between the glass and the net, and i almost gave a little shout for him to stop, but he had it in the net by the time i coudl say anything... anyway, he had jas a b;acl s, it looks like a bruise, Kind of like a brused banana. I don't recall seeing it in the tank at the [acronym="Local Fish Store"]lfs. Could it be like a discus, their lines get darker with stress? or am i just imagining things?

BTW, my tank is complete... for now.

Grand total:

1 Golden gourami
1 Boesumai rainbowfish
3 cherry barbs
4 black phantoms
1 clown loach
and an errant neon i can't get out from my tank for the life of me.

Sound well stocked? Any recommendations?

Pictures will come tommorow night. I've got a webcam on it too, for when i'm at work. (its viewable over the net, but i don't care for broadcasting my IP to everyone.

Sorry bout the long message! :p

I'm off to a buddy's birthday party, i'll talk to you all tommorow!

In my experience fish can bruise.
In one of my local fish stores they kept a lone gouami in with a hoard of tiger barbs and the barbs was bullying the gouami persistently. The poor little fish looked battered!
I asked the clerk to move the fish yet they seemed uninterested. I bought the fish out of pity, unfortunetly it did not survive the first night. :(

I agree that fish can bruise. Congratulations on the finishing of the tank. Although it seems no tank is ever "finished". Can't wait to see the pics!

Good luck with the tank. It sounds like a nice group of fish. I would think that fish bruise. Looking forward to pics.

I would agrree with the thread on this one i think fish can bruise i have had my fish just out of the tank onto the floor and they look a little bruised after they are back in the tank.

Hey Sudz,
Congratulations on your purchases. I hope the fish is ok. On a side note, if you have adequate space, both the cherry barbs and rainbowfish would prefer to be in a group totaling at least 5 (preferably 7 or more). Just a thought. :)

I may have room for 2 more cherry barbs, but I don't for 5 rainbow fish :-| They only had one at my LFS anyway, he was mixed in with a bunch of cories and a MASSIVE (12 inches) pleco.

Do you think my tank could handle that? i don't want to really overstock, as its going to be a pain to keep clean with 2.3 wpg and a DIY co2 system as it is. Its not alot of length, its a pent, basically square in proportions with a corner chopped off. 23X23 and 24X high

Thanks for the feedback on brusing guys!

Speaking of purchases, Anyone have a link to making a sturdy DIY algae scraper? Big al's wants 50 bucks for a stick with a razorblade on it! :eek2:

I may have room for 2 more cherry barbs, but I don't for 5 rainbow fish

Nope, you don't, but you do have room for more cherry barbs. Rainbowfish are active swimmers, and IMO would like a longer tank. I say round off your school of cherry barbs, and you'd have a right nice looking tank. Can't wait for piccies.

And also, I agree with the others. Fish bruise very, very easily.

OK, i swear he is changing colors. (my rainbow fish) Sometimes hes darker, other times hes lighter and a blueish silvery gleam to him. I gotta do more research.

The pictures of my new tank are approved now, you can check them out in my gallery!!!

*beams with pride*

I can't wait till my lights come in, the plants will shoot up so quickly! I've got the CO2 units in there, running at 21ppm during the day, and 26ppm at night (using the guestimation methods of PH - KH)

Better go look busy!

Back
Top Bottom