Do I have to cycle a 2.5 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I've been keeping Betta fish for a year now all in one gallon tanks. I would like to upgrade them into 2.5 gallon tanks. Do I have to cycle the 2.5 tanks? I would really prefer not to because I'm pretty impatient but I will if o have to. Is it necessary? Also the tanks come with a filter? Should I use it bettas? Can I not cycle the tank and do water changes weekly? Thanks!

You could do a fish in cycle with the 2.5 gallon tank, it shouldn't be too hard because it is so small. Technically the betta should be a 5 gallon tank, but the 2.5 gallon is better than the 1 gallon! Just watch the levels and keep everything in check!

Are you running a filter on any of your current aquariums? You can use some established media to get your cycle kick started, and to reduce the time it takes. Gravel from an established tank will work too. Since you will likely do a fish in cycle, I would highly advice you keep an eye on the water using an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Normally daily PWC's will be needed to keep the fish healthy through the cycle.

You can use the filter with bettas as long as it doesn't blow them around the tank.

Good advice given by above posters.

Do I have to cycle the 2.5 tanks? I would really prefer not to because I'm pretty impatient but I will if o have to. Is it necessary?

It's necessary because, without a proper cycle, your fish are essentially living in a toxic environment. It would be like you having to inhale car exhaust every minute of every day.

Can I not cycle the tank and do water changes weekly?

In such a small environment, the ammonia would build up quickly. Again, a toxic environment.

I agree that it is PARAMOUNT that you maintain good water quality throughout the cycle. Bettas are tough enough to do a fish in cycle with, but that doesn't mean you can just throw one in a tank and let it go. I did a fish in cycle with my betta and he did fine. That is until my snail died and caused the ammonia to get up to .5ppm. This caused him to have fin rot on and off for a month and a half.

Back
Top Bottom