Do I need a filter on my 55 sw tank? Please Help me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b3noodles

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys! Just wondering if I need a filter on my sw tank. We have 100 lbs of live rock in there and the filter is ugly! LOL We just bought orbit 4x65 watt lights and they fit on the tank just not with enough room to lift the top off and feed. Without the filter we could move the light back and have room to open the lid to feed my fat little piggies! Any suggestions will help me out!! Thanks everyone!! Sue

Yes I have a filter,it is an emporer 400 and yes I do also have a protein skimmer. That is a bac pack one. Thanks again! Sue

Yes I do we have 3 of them. 2 regent 400 gph and one power head that says 802. The regents may be more I am not too sure. Thanks! Sue

With enough powerheads, the filter isn't needed. I have a 55 with four powerheads, a skimmer and no other filtration. I believe the standard is to be sure your ph's are turning the water over 10 X's the gallons. So, you need to be sure they are pumping 550 gph. The skimmer isn't included in this. HTH

With 100lbs of LR your filtering needs shouldbe met (along with the skimmer). You can choose to use the emperor 400 as a place to run chemical filtration like carbon or mechanical filtration like pads. It is not needed however.

Back
Top Bottom